Leeds jazz in the 60's

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

jazz & jimThanks guys, don't know the subject.Your know how much apprec'd. psCivic TheatreEastgate            

vjs

Post by vjs »

Ed O'Donnell does see Secret Leeds so any messages to him will reach him-he will be interested in the photos.
vjs

Bert

Post by Bert »

Brilliant photos Jogon. A joy to behold Ed and the Black Eagles again. I too recognise Dick Wright and Wyatt in them. And of course that's the brilliant Martin Fox on clarinet in the last one. You can see from the signboard on one of them that the parade was just passing Leeds Civic Theatre.

pashy2

Post by pashy2 »

Hi fellas,In the photo in front of the Civic Theatre the bloke in the bowler hat is Ron Walters, in front of him in the guards jacket is either Dave Haigh or Red McCreevy and the bloke carrying the Eagle Standard is Fred Challenger who used to a sing a great falsetto version of "Wont you come home Bill Bailey" at the 'Burg.Cheers, Andy

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

vjs wrote: Ed O'Donnell does see Secret Leeds so any messages to him will reach him-he will be interested in the photos. Ta vjsbelow - year unknownThe E.D. O'Donnell Band, mid 1950's? venue unknown:-White Eagle Band, Peel Hotel, Boar Lane early 1950's:-Paramount Jazz Band, playing at the Adelphi, Leeds, late 1940's.Band:- O'Donnell ~ Cook ~ Boland ~ Chune ~ Hill ~ Nussey :-        

Bert

Post by Bert »

More fascinating pix, but all taken before Homer and I bought our instruments in the late 1950's and started to get involved in the Leeds jazz scene. In those days I used to hear a lot of stories about Bob Barclay's Yorkshire Jazzband but I never hesrd them or even saw a photo of them, and they hardly seem to get a mention in this thread either. Anyone have any memories/pix of them?

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Incomplete, but

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Bert wrote: More fascinating pix, but all taken before Homer and I bought our instruments in the late 1950's and started to get involved in the Leeds jazz scene. In those days I used to hear a lot of stories about Bob Barclay's Yorkshire Jazzband but I never hesrd them or even saw a photo of them, and they hardly seem to get a mention in this thread either. Anyone have any memories/pix of them? A few of Bob here:http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 716_173837    

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Nick Howdon ~ Eddie Ensall ~ Bob Barclay ~ E.D. O'DonnellNick Howdon ~ Eddie Ensall ~ Bob Barclay ~ E.D. O'DonnellYorkshire Jazz Band at The AdelphiHarker ~ Howdon ~ Ensall ~ Barclay ~ O'Donnell    

Bert

Post by Bert »

Brilliant Geordie. Real history-of-jazz-in-Leeds classics these. I seem to recall that some kind of huge falling-out led to the break-up of this band. Seeing it feels almost like going back to Leeds in its pre-Chicago, New Orleans age and re-discovering Bunk Johnson & Co.