Leeds jazz in the 60's

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

Pashy, Liz says hi! She's off to see Ed tonight and will pass on your messages. Dont hold your breath about the names of the current band though as they change from time to time.Arthur Stead is on trumpet. Ed is obviously still on trombone and always says it is the only game in town.

munki

Post by munki »

Ed O'Donnell is very much alive & well & lives three doors down from me! The next time I see him I will ask him for a list of forthcoming gigs & post it on here.
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Pashy

Post by Pashy »

Hi Dalehelms,What's news with Ed & the boys.Sorry to be pushyPashy

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

Hi Pashy, you're not being pushy! I've been in The Cotswolds since last week and haven't seen Liz. She was off to the jazz on Thursday night as usual and intended to speak to Ed. I'll phone her tonight to see if she did and will inform you of the outcome.

vjs

Post by vjs »

As a long-standing follower of the Ed O'Donnell Band it's good to see so much continuing interest.Ed himself is on excellent form as ever,playing thursdays at the Grey Horse in Wakefield-he may post some info on this site so watch this space! vjs
vjs

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

Hi pashy, the post from vjs is the response to my call to Liz, although not from Liz herself. Apparently Ed remembers your Dad well and recalled some good shared times.

vjs

Post by vjs »

re queries about members of the Ed O'Donnell Band at the Grey Horse in Wakefield-usually Atrhur Stead on trumpet,Pete Crighland drums-others vary according to availabilty but always a high standard. vjs
vjs

Pashy

Post by Pashy »

Dalehelms,VJS and Liz--Thanks heaps.The old band members I mentioned before Websdale,Fox,Goldsborough,Bowskill et al would all be in their 70s now and hung up their instruments,although the mighty Ed is still rambling on.Does anyone know Jim Irons (rugby league and jazz fanatic)?He was(is) one of E O'Ds best lifelong buddies.It would be great to hear more from Ed.Big drinks all round when I come over.Cheers,Andy

vjs

Post by vjs »

Hello Pashy,you were wondering about some of the musicians from'theold days'-sadly,Martin Fox,Brian Gbro and Billy Bowskill have all died-Billy and Martin both quite young.Fortunately Ed is still very much with us!He remembers your father well. Jim Irons is also still around occasionally. vjs
vjs

Pashy

Post by Pashy »

Thanks vjs for letting me know of the plight of those good blokes.Those Black Eagles used to end up back at our place to continue on Farnley Ring Road after their Sat night Peel session, much to the spewing and horror of the neighbours.They had a street party after we left for OZ in 64 ( the Old Man was OZ).One of Ed's trumpeters was called Jack Crapp and was often asked if he ever thought about changing his name. His stock answer wasYes- Clarence Crapp. If you run into Jim Irons ask him if he still has the inaugural Dusters Silver Medal made by Anne O'Donnell.He will explain.Cheers Andy