Leeds jazz in the 60's

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
jim

Re: Leeds jazz in the 60's

Post by jim »

John James is the seated cornet player. The standing cornet player looks like Andy Holdorf, so my memory (see post above on Leeds Trades Club as a Casey's venue) may have been playing tricks, as Andy played trombone in later years. Don't recognise any of the others.

Redhotstompers

Post by Redhotstompers »

Yes thats Andy and John. Pete Armstrong on Trombone. Dave Davis faking on bass. They played both venues. For a long time they were at the Trades club. Was the club in Bradford?

Redhotstompers

Post by Redhotstompers »

Sorry I meant the Bradford student club. Was that in Bradford.

jim

Post by jim »

Never went to the Bradford Students Club, but believe it was in Bradford. Jazzers humour is such that otherwise it would have been memorably mentioned/mocked!

Redhotstompers

Post by Redhotstompers »

Hi tere I have some photos of Caseys Hot Seven Playing at Bradford Student's Club here https://redhotstompers.home.blog/2020/0 ... azz-venus/ . I wonder you could tell me if the Bradford Students club is still standing or where it was? Many thanks.
Kate

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

In the 60s I used to visit the Star and Garter at Kirkstall and the Peel on Boar Lane to listen to jazz. I don't remember Caseys Hot Seven at either location but my memory ain't what it used to be.

Bert

Post by Bert »

Redhotstompers wrote:
Thu 30 Jan, 2020 1:46 pm
Hi tere I have some photos of Caseys Hot Seven Playing at Bradford Student's Club here https://redhotstompers.home.blog/2020/0 ... azz-venus/ . I wonder you could tell me if the Bradford Students club is still standing or where it was? Many thanks.
Kate
Hi Kate. Thank you for the pix you pm'd me. Hope you got my pm'd reply. For some reason this website has stopped sending me email notifications of any postings so I hadn't seen yours. The Bradford Students Club was certainly in Bradford. Long gone now I should think. I haven't a clue whereabouts in Bradford it was - I was just a school kid in those days going wherever the grownups like Homer and Jazzbob took me! Before the Tramshed was gutted and made into the big Queens concert hall it is now where the big names like the Beatles and the Stones performed, it literally was the tramshed with a small social club upstairs for the tram workers - a little stage and dance floor. They let Leeds Art College students use it for their Wednesday night hop, which was when Ed O'Donnell played there, with our band (Al Crossland's) playing interval. There are one or two pix on this thread of us playing there. You had to go down a narrow flight of stairs to the left of the stage to get a beer from a little tram workers bar down there.

Redhotstompers

Post by Redhotstompers »

Hi Bert,
How old were you?
No. No reply. It’s a great site but a little glitchy. My replies to posts seem to be dropped on a regular basis and I cant see any of the photos. Or worse a tantalising corner!
Thanks for the info. Do you mind if I post on my blog? Specifically these quotes? I’m trying to record this history before it all disappears.
I can give your name, pen name or leave it anonymous
“ The Bradford Students Club was certainly in Bradford. Long gone now I should think. I haven't a clue whereabouts in Bradford it was”
“Before the Tramshed was gutted and made into the big Queens concert hall it is now where the big names like the Beatles and the Stones performed, it literally was the tramshed with a small social club upstairs for the tram workers - a little stage and dance floor. They let Leeds Art College students use it for their Wednesday night hop, which was when Ed O'Donnell played there, with our band (Al Crossland's) playing interval. There are one or two pix on this thread of us playing there. You had to go down a narrow flight of stairs to the left of the stage to get a beer from a little tram workers bar down there.“
If you want to email me you can get me [email protected]
Many thanks for the info.
Regards
Kate

Bert

Post by Bert »

I just heard that Jazzbob - Bob Richardson, former drummer with Al Crossland's band in the 60s, and later with Martin Fox in a beebop group I think, died in July. His wife, Marion, has asked if anyone can put her in touch with Dave Lewis, whom Bob mentions in one of his contributions above. Can anyone help?

Bert

Post by Bert »

I just heard that Jazzbob - Bob Richardson, former drummer with Al Crossland's band in the 60s, and later with Martin Fox in a beebop group I think, died in July. His wife, Marion, has asked if anyone can put her in touch with Dave Lewis, whom Bob mentions in one of his contributions above. Can anyone help?