Happy Birthday Secret Leeds! An invite...

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
munki

Post by munki »

Phill_d wrote: There was a small piece about secret Leeds been a year old in the Evening post supplement tonight (Sat 8th) It was a bit small. I think they could have done a bit more with the story myself. Anyone see it?     Well, we got the second busiest day on the website ever, presumably as a result of the piece, with 892 visitors to the site, so no complaints from me.I did a very windy interview outside Sam's with Tom from Absolute Leeds, not sure when it will be printed.
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Barwicker

Post by Barwicker »

I read this thread about 2 hours ago and then went away to watch a couple of things on Dave (Channel 19 on Freeview) thinking someone must beat me to it. But..... I bought about 5 years ago a 2 video pack for the sum of £14.99 which contained:1 The Leeds Story " A trip down memory lane to the Leeds of old as seen through the eyes of pioneering cine photographers who, with their hand cranked and clockwork cameras captured life as it used to be for our grandparents and greatgrandparents" and 2 Almost forgotten Leeds. " a fascinating look at the quirky side of Leeds. Stories from the past are retold, developments long gone are revisited and points of interest almost forgotten are rekindled"The videos were produced in association with the YEP in 1997 and are presented by Harry Gration of BBC Look North. It is a few years since I looked at the videos but they may well fill the bill or at least part of it. Needless to say I also have the tram video! But then again I went to school by tram and even had one year travelling to work by tram from Crossgates.A loan can no doubt be arranged.....what happens then is not my concern. But a return to me in DVD form would be more than acceptable.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Barwicker wrote: I read this thread about 2 hours ago and then went away to watch a couple of things on Dave (Channel 19 on Freeview) thinking someone must beat me to it. But..... I bought about 5 years ago a 2 video pack for the sum of £14.99 which contained:1 The Leeds Story " A trip down memory lane to the Leeds of old as seen through the eyes of pioneering cine photographers who, with their hand cranked and clockwork cameras captured life as it used to be for our grandparents and greatgrandparents" and 2 Almost forgotten Leeds. " a fascinating look at the quirky side of Leeds. Stories from the past are retold, developments long gone are revisited and points of interest almost forgotten are rekindled"The videos were produced in association with the YEP in 1997 and are presented by Harry Gration of BBC Look North. It is a few years since I looked at the videos but they may well fill the bill or at least part of it. Needless to say I also have the tram video! But then again I went to school by tram and even had one year travelling to work by tram from Crossgates.A loan can no doubt be arranged.....what happens then is not my concern. But a return to me in DVD form would be more than acceptable. You remind me that I too have a copy of the Leeds Story (extracting from its last home and blowing off the dust!)I see though that it does however have a very prominent copyright note upon it which may restrict its legitimate use elsewhere.

simonm

Post by simonm »

As to specific tours, i'd love a safe'ish one down some of the tunnels of Leeds. Maybe Phil could be "tour guide" for it. As to another meetup, great idea.
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

The following website has a DVD of Past Leeds:http://www.videopasts.co.uk/acatalog/Now_and_Then.html
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

Thanks for that, Steve. They've got one of Glasgow as well as one of Leeds. They should keep me happy for hours!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

glad to help. If you look in the other sections you will see that they also do an aerial flight DVd of Leeds & Bradford
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!