SecretLeeds Birthday Party

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

So is the idea of a party dead or not?(sneakily trying to breathe life into a thread and create an excuse to drink<G>)The Victoria & Commercial is a good idea and you can hire the room on the left as you go in which might be an idea. Really though to celebrate the spirit of this forum , we should probably be looking at some hidden gem of Leeds, or somewhere that had a previous existence as something else<LOL>.i would love to meet up with people on here ,though in a social setting .if only to sit back and listen to some real experts on different subjects (plus show off my knowledge of weird stuff , folklore, paganism and ghosts<G>)
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

munki

Post by munki »

Yeah, Steve, it will be happening! Dsco & I have been talking about it in our usual 'We must do something... way'. We have cleared a tour of the cells & clocktower of the Town Hall, & the Vic are happy for us to do it there. We just need to set a date now.I've been busy getting the Holocaust Memorial Day event at the Town Hall set up for Sunday. Will talk to Dsco about a date once I have got that out of the way.
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I have been in the old victorian cells under the steps of the town hall a few years ago on a guided tour. very spooky and allegedly haunted. I didn't feel anything spooky in them at all but did feel an atmosphere in the old police station area.The whole is well worth seeing.being a vertigo sufferer i will chicken out of the clock tower<G>.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Im happy with the Vic or a crawl,or both.Just hope that the date announcement will prompt more users to be able to say they can attend.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Hello all,Will DEFINITELY get round to sorting the party out this week - starting by setting a date.I'm loving the 'lost pubs' pub crawl idea Sadly I fear it may be a little beyond our abilities - it'd have to be some sort of weird combination of Heritage Open Day and Light Night. But just think of all the shops, offices, apartment block foyers, grassed areas, streets, gardens and building sites you could mill about in, drinking warm lager from a can and eating peanuts. Spot of darts and doms anyone? Genius. Black Dogs would be well into it (http://www.black-dogs.org/)Anyway, on to slightly more realistic ambitions ... we're thinking of doing the Town Hall tour thing at about the same time as the party, so The Victoria would be handy for when that's finished. As for the date, we will report back soon.Cheers,dsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

P.S. Regarding badges, I was actually thinking of geeky, conference-style name badges for the party, which is totally wrong in every way and yet still strangely appealing...As for some funky little pin badges to discretely tell the world of your allegiance to that strange underground society known only as 'SecretLeeds', we've been working on that, but you'll have to wait for the party to find out more dsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

dsco wrote: Hello all,Will DEFINITELY get round to sorting the party out this week - starting by setting a date.I'm loving the 'lost pubs' pub crawl idea Sadly I fear it may be a little beyond our abilities - it'd have to be some sort of weird combination of Heritage Open Day and Light Night. But just think of all the shops, offices, apartment block foyers, grassed areas, streets, gardens and building sites you could mill about in, drinking warm lager from a can and eating peanuts. Spot of darts and doms anyone? Genius. Black Dogs would be well into it (http://www.black-dogs.org/)Anyway, on to slightly more realistic ambitions ... we're thinking of doing the Town Hall tour thing at about the same time as the party, so The Victoria would be handy for when that's finished. As for the date, we will report back soon.Cheers,dsco Oh yeah,but make sure the drink is AFTER the clock tower visit.we dont want the pedestrians in front of the town hall being covered by an enebriated SLers technicoloured yawn!!
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com