Leeds pub rock spaces from the 1970s and 80s question

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
ddeane

Leeds pub rock spaces from the 1970s and 80s question

Post by ddeane »

Hi,

Does anyone know if any pub rock places in Leeds from the 70s and 80s had any connections with the other wider circuits of music scenes around from those time periods? did any of the pub spaces help carry the legacy of UK pub rock in the north of England?

If anyone can help please do let me know

Thanks!

ddeane

Re: Leeds pub rock spaces from the 1970s and 80s question

Post by ddeane »

Anyone know much about the Fforde Grene in the earlier 70s?

ddeane

Post by ddeane »

Any one know much the Forde Grene in general? or the history of the Fenton pub? any help would be great

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi ddeane – I noticed that you have not had any responses to your posts, so I thought that I would tell you what I know, from my experience as a person born and bred in Leeds, and having worked as a Police Officer in the Chapeltown area, in uniform, C.I.D. and Vice Squad over many years during my service from 1965 until I retired in 1995.

So far as relates to the Fforde Grene, as far as I am aware, originally it was just a very large pub situated in the Harehills area of Leeds. It was also a concert venue. Along with the Compton Arms, the legend was that these two pubs sold more beer than any other pubs in Leeds. Originally, during and after the Second World War, the area was a good working class area of Leeds, full of mainly ‘back to back’ and ‘through’ terrace houses. Many of the local people, and particularly women, worked at the factory of Burton’s Tailors, not far from the Compton Arms, in the Harehills/Burmantofts area. The part of Harehills where the Fforde Grene Pub was situated (Roundhay Road/Harehills Lane) abutted the Chapeltown area of Leeds (the area, approximately, between Harehills Road/Bayswater Road/Barrack Street/Scott Hall Road/ Harehills Lane).

From Victorian times, there were many large houses built in the Chapeltown area, particularly around Spencer Place and the streets nearby. As time progressed, the Jewish community, which had fled from overseas, from the late 1800’s, originally settled in the ‘Leylands’ area (roughly – between North Street and Regent Street). Many of the Jewish community worked very hard and became professional people such as lawyers and doctors, and also business owners. As they progressed, they spread outwards, from the Leylands area, into Chapeltown and many of the very large houses were owned and occupied by prominent Jewish people. As they progressed further, after the war, many of the Jewish Community moved into Roundhay, Moortown, Alwoodley and Shadwell. Also after the war, the Leylands area became more industrial and the Chapeltown area began to see the settling of people from the Caribbean and, later, what is now known as the ‘Windrush Generation’. Many of the houses in Chapeltown, which had been occupied by the Jews were split up into flats but many remained as very large Victorian houses, mainly terraced. As the Jews moved out, the West Indian Community moved in. However, there were still lots of ‘working class’ white Leeds people who had been brought up in the area or who had moved there from other areas of Leeds.

During the 1970’s and 1980’s, there were several Riots in the Chapeltown area and many Public Order problems. They often became annual events around Bonfire Night, Mischevious Night and during the late August bank holiday when the Chapeltown West Indian Carnival is held. Many of the Riots were ‘copy cat’ Riots, which seemed to occur when there were Riots in London, Liverpool, Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester and elsewhere. Also, in the 1960’s, many of the prostitutes, who worked mainly in the Leeds City Centre, started to ply their trade in the Chapeltown area. Also, because of the culture of the local West Indian Community, ‘Shebeens’ or ‘Blues’ (illicit drinking parties with music) could be found in many streets in the area. Along with all this, there was a massive drugs problem - mainly cannabis, but hard drugs as well.

As a result of all of the above, from the 1960’s, the Chapeltown area of Leeds became notorious for prostitution, drugs and all of the other crimes that are associated.

Besides many ‘legal’ clubs such as the International Club (and its many other names), the Lamporte Club, the Strega Club, Shaheen Club (and its other names) etc., etc., there were other pubs in the area such as the Hayfield Pub in Chapeltown Road and the Gaiety Pub, which was built in 1972, near to the premises of an old cinema of the same name, in Roundhay Road near to Spencer Place. Although a brand new pub with restaurant facilities (originally), the pub never became anything else other than a place for the local prostitutes, their ponces and drug dealers, besides other members of the criminal fraternity. There was live entertainment there and, at one time, ‘topless’ waitresses. There was always trouble there and on many occasions, the Police tried to get the place closed down. A similar set of circumstances took place at the Hayfield Pub. In the end, both pubs were closed down. This meant that the only large pub in the area was the Fforde Grene and many of the people who had frequented the Hayfield and the Gaiety, and plied their trade there, started to frequent the Fforde Grene (but not so much prostitution). In no time at all, the Fforde Grene had the same reputation as the other pubs, and eventually closed down.

Previously, if you wished to buy or sell drugs, buy or sell a firearm, buy or sell some stolen property or car, meet a prostitute or meet a diverse set of criminals then the Gaiety and Hayfield were the places to go. After these pubs were closed down, the Fforde Grene was the place to go for all of these activities. Not surpisingly, the Fforde Grene is now a supermarket.

Another phenomenen has occurred in recent years, the West Indian Community has reduced in Chapeltown and is being replaced by the Asian Community, and the original white Leeds Community in Harehills has reduced and is being replaced by the Asian Community and, I understand, by the migrant East European Community.

Here are some links, which might be of interest to you:

https://www.secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?t=502
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fforde_Grene
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheFfordey/
http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL
https://www.setlist.fm/venue/fforde-gre ... 758a0.html
https://www.revolvy.com/page/Fforde-Grene

So far as relates to the Fenton Pub on Headingley Lane, I don’t know much about it. There was always an army barracks in Fenton Street (nearby) and the pub will have been the haunt of many soldiers in times gone by. Since the development of Leeds University (nearby) and other educational establishments in the area, there is no doubt that the pub is frequented by many students. In recent years, many, many blocks of multi storey student flats have been built within a short walking distance from the pub so I suspect that it will thrive.

Here is a link:

https://www.secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?t=3811

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Hi ddeane
Is this page, which contains a post listing gigs I attended, any help to you?
https://www.secretleeds.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&start=60
The older I get, the better I was.

ddeane

Post by ddeane »

Hi Ian and Bruno, sorry for the belated reply, but many thanks for the links and for the comprehensive history, I very much appreciate your help!