Secret Watering Holes

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Back on track now, when I was in Leeds I used to love going to the Old Steps, on York Place, and then on to Lens Bar, there was another one just further up but the name escapes me now!
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

cnosni wrote: Every time ive been to the Pack Horse recently the real ale has been off,the pumps and the recpective clips are there but they seem to be always off.Also the Whitelocks is none too welcoming theese days.since the smoking ban the smell of the old place permeates the atmoshphere from either the toilets or the cellar. That's a shame. Whitelocks was always one of my favourite pubs (second only to the Duck & Drake).

FLOJO

Post by FLOJO »

Chrism wrote: Back on track now, when I was in Leeds I used to love going to the Old Steps, on York Place, and then on to Lens Bar, there was another one just further up but the name escapes me now! Chrism I think the bar you mean in York Place was Cullens. I worked at National Express on Wellington Street in the late eighties and used to go to Cullens for our lunch, it was always the same crowd everyday,in the office above us there was FHP partnership and they used to be in every lunchtime. My husband came from South Africa a couple of years ago and said it was under another name now.
Ex Leeds Lass

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

In late 1893 the celebrated Samuel Ledgard and his father took over the licence of The Angel for a very short while, before retreating thankfully to the Nelson at Armley where their highly successful brewing and transport businesses were formed. Apparently in those glorious days of old The Angel was something of a Hell Hole and not for the faint hearted. As well as drunkenness and general bawdy behaviour upstairs rooms are said to have been available for hire by those ladies wishing to hold an early version of TUPPERWARE parties, not to be confused with the innocent catering and cookware gatherings of a century later. I daren't risk being booted off Secret Leeds for posting coarse items, but several examples of a "play on words" spring to mind - think about it !!    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

FLOJO wrote: Chrism wrote: Back on track now, when I was in Leeds I used to love going to the Old Steps, on York Place, and then on to Lens Bar, there was another one just further up but the name escapes me now! Chrism I think the bar you mean in York Place was Cullens. I worked at National Express on Wellington Street in the late eighties and used to go to Cullens for our lunch, it was always the same crowd everyday,in the office above us there was FHP partnership and they used to be in every lunchtime. My husband came from South Africa a couple of years ago and said it was under another name now. That's the one, cheers FloJo. ;-)
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

The 2Old Steps" is just at the end of York Place where I work.I hadn't been in there even though I have worked at the Tribunal servicefor 6 years.I did however finally go in last week (and again today).A lovely little pub with superb home made food. The beers are all Leeds Brewery as well.Sadly Midnight bell was off this lunchtine but usually on.It is tiny, but well worth seeking out although it doesn't open at night.    
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Steve Jones wrote: The 2Old Steps" is just at the end of York Place where I work.I hadn't been in there even though I have worked at the Tribunal servicefor 6 years.I did however finally go in last week (and again today).A lovely little pub with superb home made food. The beers are all Leeds Brewery as well.Sadly Midnight bell was off this lunchtine but usually on.It is tiny, but well worth seeking out although it doesn't open at night.     Hmmmm. Didn't realise you lived quite so close to my day-time place of residence Steve. (note to self - go the long way into town from now on!)

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

just found this old thread looking through my past stuff and thought I would resurrect it and mention "The Hop"in Leeds down near the former Dark Arches.A lovely little place with a great range of beers.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!