Secret Watering Holes

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
owdoo

Post by owdoo »

We have all seen the bright lights of Oceana, wandered past gatecrasher, some of us may have even had a pint in weatherspoons or sipped cocktails in the living room. These places are well known among the revelers of Leeds but do you know any hidden gems that have yet to be discovered?I will start you off!! Baby Jupiter on York Place is quite possibly the best little bar in Leeds (In my opinion) the basement bar pretty much rocks your sock off, with characters galore and a music policy that suits the mod/indie surroundings. If you get the chance, pop down and see Smurf (Owner) but don't let him break out the jagemiester or you will never leave!!Over to you?

Pelena

Post by Pelena »

I'm not sure if you'd call this hidden or not, The Angel Inn Yard, off Lands Lane opposite HMV. It's down an alley (or ginnel if your from Leeds), and does have a nice big sign at the end of the alley. Most people I know (students) don't know where it is without direction, or unless they've lived in Leeds for a while.It's cosy and does emo/indie type music with some comfy seats and nice booze. Good for students if you can find it, but the outdoor seating leaves a lot to be desired - they've chained the chairs to the tables to stop theft, but you have to be a pretty thin person to sit there!

owdoo

Post by owdoo »

Fantastic I knew it was there but haven’t been since my days of trying to get served as a teenager didn’t realize they had such a music policy will definitely be trying this out soon.Reclaim on the river is also a good one behind 42 the calls, really small but in the summer it is great to sit outside and they do a beat the clock promotion which is good for large groups.I think they are looking to build on the car park next to it which is a bit of a shame as the outside seating area may go.

munki

Post by munki »

It took me ages to pin down where the Angel is! The entrance to Angel Inn Yard seemed to move - like something out of Narnia. Sometimes it was there & sometimes it wasn't... I had to make a mental note that the Link cashpoint was the entrance to the Yard.
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Yep every time I try to find the Angel it's on a different part of Briggate... It rotates positions regularly with The Ship, Whitelock's and various other of those 'loin' or ginnel pubs.
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

tasha

Post by tasha »

I love those little pubs (with the possible exception of the ship), but was only introduced to them over the summer through people from work who are local to Leeds - they do seem to be a well kept secret with regard to students.The Angel is very nice, but i'm also a big fan of a pint of cider in the yard of Whitelocks on a summer's evening! Has a bit more of an authentic old man's pub feel to it.

munki

Post by munki »

It was apparently the first building in Leeds to get electric light! Now there's story to wow your friends or charm a girl with of a Friday night...
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

The history of Whitelock's is even more bizarre - table service from dwarf waiters and high praise from John Betjeman being amongst the highlights ...Will dig out the original info from Leeds Civic Trust (they recently awarded Whitelock's a blue heritage plaque).D
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Oh, thank God!! I thought it was just me who experienced the ginnel moving pubs of Leeds!!! I thought I had "old timers disease"!!! Why do they move like that? That one at the side of the back entrance to M & S gets me every time!!! Is that The Ship (occasionally!!!!)??

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

That ones the Pack Horse. Unless it has reverted the only one in those ginnels not to serve hand pulled beer.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/