An invite to a Light Night tour of Secret Leeds. But it's up to you to design it...

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
munki

Post by munki »

SECRET LEEDS IN PARTNERSHIP WITH LIGHT NIGHT LEEDS WOULD LIKE TO OFFER YOU A NIGHT-TIME TOUR OF SECRET LEEDS. However, we want you to design the tour…Light Night is an annual, night-time cultural event, which is run by Munki & Kate, who also run Secret Leeds, & the Celebrate Leeds 2007 festival (for our sins) and will be happening this year on Friday October 12th.Light Night celebrates all that is weird, wonderful, & Secret about Leeds. Although Light Night has been running for two years, we have just launched a website for the first time. This can be found at www.lightnight.co.uk. It will tell you all about the event (once we know what is happening!) & has loads of ace pictures from the events which ran in 2005 & 2006.We want you, Dear Readers, to nominate the Secret Leeds site you would most like to see. Of course, we can’t promise anything, but we will take the best suggestions, & do our best to turn them in to a tour on Light Night. Of course, those who make the suggestions will get an automatic place on the tour. Otherwise, I think we will be fighting people off! Of course, people who book via Secret Leeds will get priority. Post your suggestions for ‘secret’ sites that you would like to visit here, & we will do our best to get access to the six best, & take you around them.On Friday, 12th October, exactly a month before Leeds’ 800th birthday, we invite you to an after hours celebration of the bizarre, secret, fantastic, surreal history of your city. From twilight through midnight and beyond, experience games on the streets, songs in prison cells, boat trips to nowhere, buglers in towers, dancing in galleries, awesome illuminations & curious creations in churches… Be a tourist, a night-tripper & a sight-seer in your own city.http://www.lightnight.co.uk
Attachments
__TFMF_3rmxi1vkxnioeqjwjveeybqb_92be15ed-d142-4cd9-9f4b-7da9b70a549b_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_3rmxi1vkxnioeqjwjveeybqb_92be15ed-d142-4cd9-9f4b-7da9b70a549b_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (35.21 KiB) Viewed 3759 times
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

simonm

Post by simonm »

What about the so called secret tunnel / bunkers under our streets in the middle of the city? That'd be cool. Mind you, you'd have to stay clear of any sort of water course I would imagine.
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

munki

Post by munki »

You have to be a bit more specific than that...
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Well thats a bit difficult, seeing as many believe them to be there, yet others deny it. It's all Iv'e got, sorry!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

munki

Post by munki »

Well, there are places below that city centre that I could take you to, but they are not necessarily all that exciting. There are rooms below the city centre...

simonm

Post by simonm »

well, seeing as I have to take others words for it, maybe the organisers can select the less boring ones?

jf

Post by jf »

The university tunnels are quite extensive and easy to access. There's probably all sorts of Health and Safety barriers in the way of getting access though!I think a 'high and low' theme would be good - gaining access to high places you can't normally reach (Parkinson Tower, churches, office towers) and low places (tunnels, bunkers). View the city 'from top to bottom'.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

I'm on to it munki... I'll have a think were we can go realistically...
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

pid

Post by pid »

i like the idea of a low places and high places being accesible to the everyday folk of leeds and i might be able to organise something for people to go down the cellars in the wrens pub .its an old building and of course despite renovation to the higher levels the cellar is all originial and may ??? contain a tunnel to the grand theatre ???? anyway its definitely underground central leeds so let me know what you think and ill sort it out

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Anywhere like that is good pid... places not normally accesible to the public... Cheap beer afterwards may i inquire? :-)
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/