Tetley Bitter

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Riponian

Post by Riponian »

I can't understand them putting maize in their beer - okay so there's a famous American concoction (can't call it a brew as I suspect it's never seen a yeast cell in its production) that has rice as an ingredient. I just thought they got thousands of gnats to go for a leak.Mind you, wasn't the plant for "Castlemaine XXXX" rather close to the Tetley's stables? The dray horses could turn waste Tetleys into it.We may miss Tetley Bitter (and Mild) but then there are plenty of other brews in the area to choose for as has been amply pointed out.    
I like work. I can watch it for hours.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Had a pint of Carlton Bitter in The Unicorn in Carlton the other week. Very nice drop it was too.I haven't drank Tetley's for years. It's been foul, bordering on undrinkable.    
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

I can remember when CAMRA became the leading light in promoting cask ale in the 1970s. There first venture in Leeds I think was the Eagle on North Street, the beers there were a breath of fresh air as the only real ale readily available was a few Sam Smiths and Tetleys pubs, the rest were all either bright beers or tank stored cxxp.My favorite brew at the Eagle was Boddingtons bitter. Up the road from there was the White Stag which served Teltey M&B hand pulled through the autovac system, the only way to serve ale according to my grandad who worked for Melbourne Brewerey for 25years. This was a dream come true to the old lad when we went to visit the two pubs serving ale as it should be and not the slops served at his local, the Kings Arms on Meanwood Road (his words not mine)

Si

Post by Si »

Riponian wrote: I can't understand them putting maize in their beer.     It's cheap.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

geoffb wrote: I can remember when CAMRA became the leading light in promoting cask ale in the 1970s. There first venture in Leeds I think was the Eagle on North Street, the beers there were a breath of fresh air as the only real ale readily available was a few Sam Smiths and Tetleys pubs, the rest were all either bright beers or tank stored cxxp. Don't go starry eyed on us Geoff, Tetleys were turning to the keg and tank rubbish at a rate of knots before CAMRA just managed to stop this disgusting trend before they could complete the death sentence on Cask Tetleys, Carlsberg may be the ones who will finish the murder off but the old Tetley board were trying to stab the body to death over 30 years ago.

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

The Parksider wrote: geoffb wrote: I can remember when CAMRA became the leading light in promoting cask ale in the 1970s. There first venture in Leeds I think was the Eagle on North Street, the beers there were a breath of fresh air as the only real ale readily available was a few Sam Smiths and Tetleys pubs, the rest were all either bright beers or tank stored cxxp. Don't go starry eyed on us Geoff, Tetleys were turning to the keg and tank rubbish at a rate of knots before CAMRA just managed to stop this disgusting trend before they could complete the death sentence on Cask Tetleys, Carlsberg may be the ones who will finish the murder off but the old Tetley board were trying to stab the body to death over 30 years ago. Starry eyed maybe but the Teltleys cask ale was good probably, the best around in Leeds at the time along with certain Youngers houses, Whitelocks and Hussars for example. No doubt if it was not for CAMRA we would be in a real ale dessert, but perhaps if the big brewers had stopped cask ale altogether in the 70s the small independants would have filled the gap then, I doubt it though. We would all be drinking Soverign, Triple Gold, Tankard, Red Barrel etc. etc.Does anyone remember Triple Gold a Tetleys Keg ale similar to Double Diamond but more like a bitter. Only lasted a couple of years in he late 60s early 70s

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I don't remember Triple Gold Geoffb, but I do remember that in the 80's Tetleys tried a hand-pulled cask lager, believe it or not. I remember trying it at the Deer Park - it was good but sadly didn't appeal to the 'Carling Black Label' types. It was called 'Golden Cross' IIRC ,anyone else remember it?    
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

simong

Post by simong »

There are a few cask lagers around, and 'gold' ale is pretty much designed to appeal to lager drinkers, and indeed Yorkshire drinkers. Black Sheep's Golden Sheep was blimmin' awful when I tried when it first came out though.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

The Parksider wrote: geoffb wrote: I can remember when CAMRA became the leading light in promoting cask ale in the 1970s. There first venture in Leeds I think was the Eagle on North Street, the beers there were a breath of fresh air as the only real ale readily available was a few Sam Smiths and Tetleys pubs, the rest were all either bright beers or tank stored cxxp. Don't go starry eyed on us Geoff, Tetleys were turning to the keg and tank rubbish at a rate of knots before CAMRA just managed to stop this disgusting trend before they could complete the death sentence on Cask Tetleys, Carlsberg may be the ones who will finish the murder off but the old Tetley board were trying to stab the body to death over 30 years ago. This is true. However, fortunately for me they never got around to the Hare and Hounds at West Ardsley before the wind changed, either that, or the landlord who was proud of his beer and always used to sip it from a pewter half pint tankard, wouldn't let them. I remember them taking the "wickets" out of the Stump Cross in Morley in the summer of '77, and then putting them back in the autumn.    
Industria Omnia Vincit

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

geoffb wrote: Does anyone remember Triple Gold a Tetleys Keg ale similar to Double Diamond but more like a bitter. Only lasted a couple of years in he late 60s early 70s I remember the Barley wine they sold, Triple A, not quite sure I can recall triple gold, but may have seen some old marketing stuff with it on.Tets did Falstaff a pale mild that was for the Halifax (Ramsdens) area and Imperial, a strong bitter for the North East.Eeeeh whatever happened to Double Diamond. On a building site in Pannal recently we found an old DD can! In the north east they had variations like light and heavy DD.The one great innovation though was a hand pulled Cask Lager and it could have had gold in the title. Very very exciting idea and a nice beer, but it was not to last through the rush to bright beers.....