Tetley Bitter

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Geordie-exile wrote: Barley wines now. There's a memory.I don't remember the Tetley's offering, but in The Fairway we used to drink Magnet Old, and in Whitbread pubs it was Gold Label. Firewater. I have a memory of a barley wine called "Arctic" but I don't know who brewed it. I also remember a friend of mine drinking barley wine in Websters/Wilsons pubs and calling it "stingo"Now I know Sam Smiths brew something called "Yorkshire Stingo", because I've seen it in Beer Ritz, it's 8% and very expensive for a pint bottle, but I don't think this is the same stuff.
Industria Omnia Vincit

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Si wrote: The bloke on Geoffb's Treble Gold tray...is he eating a chicken drumstick, or playing the harmonica?! maybe he's playing a drumstick?or eating a harmonica...
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

tilly

Post by tilly »

It must have had four legs bacause the chicken on the table at the side of him still has two.lol
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

The Parksider wrote: geoffb wrote: Does anyone remember Triple Gold a Tetleys Keg ale similar to Double Diamond but more like a bitter. Only lasted a couple of years in he late 60s early 70s I remember the Barley wine they sold, Triple A, not quite sure I can recall triple gold, but may have seen some old marketing stuff with it on.Tets did Falstaff a pale mild that was for the Halifax (Ramsdens) area and Imperial, a strong bitter for the North East.Eeeeh whatever happened to Double Diamond. On a building site in Pannal recently we found an old DD can! In the north east they had variations like light and heavy DD.The one great innovation though was a hand pulled Cask Lager and it could have had gold in the title. Very very exciting idea and a nice beer, but it was not to last through the rush to bright beers..... IN the early days of CAMRA they came up with some catchy ways of debunking the advertising of keg beers. When Double Diamond was at the height of its popularity Ind Coope were running an advertising campaign based on DD4Me and such like - CAMRA produced badges that said DD is K9P, It wasn't long before Ind Coope dropped Double Diamond. As for Falstaff - as you say that was a light mild aimed at the Ramsdens drinkers brougt up on Ramsden's famous light mild. Unfortunately it too was a keg beer. CAMRA dubbed it Foulstuff - that too soon disappeared.Taylors Golden Best is I believe a light mild.
Industria Omnia Vincit

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Trojan wrote: Geordie-exile wrote: Barley wines now. There's a memory.I don't remember the Tetley's offering, but in The Fairway we used to drink Magnet Old, and in Whitbread pubs it was Gold Label. Firewater. I have a memory of a barley wine called "Arctic" but I don't know who brewed it.     I remember a Low Carb lager they used to sell in Tetley's pubs called Arctic Lite.And here's an advert:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrOiq0mhLS8

Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

Geordie-exile wrote: Trojan wrote: Geordie-exile wrote: Barley wines now. There's a memory.I don't remember the Tetley's offering, but in The Fairway we used to drink Magnet Old, and in Whitbread pubs it was Gold Label. Firewater. I have a memory of a barley wine called "Arctic" but I don't know who brewed it.     I remember a Low Carb lager they used to sell in Tetley's pubs called Arctic Lite.And here's an advert:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrOiq0mhLS8 I still have an Arctic Lite glass pint tankard that I ' acquired ' from the old Mexborough Arms on Harrogate Rd back in 1978, could be a collectors item by now !Regards.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Trojan wrote: IN the early days of CAMRA they came up with some catchy ways of debunking the advertising of keg beers. When Double Diamond was at the height of its popularity Ind Coope were running an advertising campaign based on DD4Me and such like - CAMRA produced badges that said DD is K9P, It wasn't long before Ind Coope dropped Double Diamond. As for Falstaff - as you say that was a light mild aimed at the Ramsdens drinkers brougt up on Ramsden's famous light mild. Unfortunately it too was a keg beer. CAMRA dubbed it Foulstuff - that too soon disappeared.Taylors Golden Best is I believe a light mild. Arctic Light lasted a long time, it was a silly advertising Con, as most of the calories are in the alcohol, It probably lasted because lager was on the up and it added to the at that time limited (Skol) choice, later a pseudo "australian" lager was added after failed attempts to introduce a dutch lager.Come on NAME THOSE TWO LAGERS.......As for CAMRA we had some good Fridays in the Queens Hall beer festivals, in the far corner was the Gentlemans Toilet and the two large squares of runs of stalls all signed up with the various breweries was good fun.Abover the Gents Door the CAMRA people had put up a "JOHN SMITHS" sign.......

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Heineken and Castlemaine XXXX ? Just drinking a Heineken over here in Thailand. PS No snow over here (Smiley)

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

Si wrote: The bloke on Geoffb's Treble Gold tray...is he eating a chicken drumstick, or playing the harmonica?! I think the pic for the tray was taken in the Three Legs Saturday Lunch.Sam Smiths brewed there own lager, think it was called Alpine then they changed it to Ayingerbrau (sic). They also brew a Stout not as good as some on the market but its OK. Moortown Social Club only sold Sam Smiths upto about 1974 when Vaux took over the loan, there beers were good, I remember Samson Bitter and a bottled ale called Double Maxim, dont know if this was a Barley wine, it was quite strong though.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

A new brewery took over Double Maxim and Samson from Vaux http://www.doublemaxim.co.uk/Also Lambton's and Wards. The website says the renowned beer writer Roger Protz describes DM as a Brown Ale.Interestingly another brewery's beer has moved away from it's local roots. Pontefract's Tomlinsons brewery famed for liqourice beers http://liquoricebeer.com/index.php?f=data_home&a=1 now brews in the Highlands of Scotland at the Cairngorms brewery http://cairngormbrewery.com/
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/