Tetley Bitter

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Keith Waterhouse recalls awkward 'first visits' to pubs and asking for the then popular tongue twister of "two halves of half and half" ie mixed which doesnt seem to be around any more.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

majorhoundii wrote: I remember Tetleys Family Ale - also their Dinner Ale. Didn't they also brew a barley wine? Was it called Arctic? I never took any notice of the Barley Wine. It was called something like Triple gold but I really don't know, someone else may recall it of it may come to me. I don't think it was brewed at Tetleys, at least post 1973 never saw it chalked up on the fermenters."Arctic" ws the Arctic Lite low carb Lager. Bit of a con I think as all lagers are pretty low carb.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Steve Jones wrote: I used occasionally to drink tetleys in the Adelphi whilst in Leeds from York for union meetings around 1977-1983.I never thought the bitter up to much but mild was acceptable. The information about sulphuric acid further up this thread confirms something I long suspected.I remember asking tetleys about their original wells when looking into Holy wells and spas in West Yorkshire in 1990 and got a very curt response when asking about the purity of their water supply!     The lab had much better control of treated townswater, and the supply was guaranteed. The site had a number of boreholes sunk over the years. I picked these up of old architects drawings. Most were filled/capped but I only recall two major ones. One was under the brewhouse and this was on the Brewery Tour. They supposedly used this one - well they told the people on the tour they did.The other was near crown point road in a cellar. It was capped and vented for Methane gas. In 1954 two engineers were welding near it and blew themselves up.Somewhere around late seventies the same thing happened in a Welsh pumping station and the papers reflected how the lessons of Tetleys had not been learnt.Then around 1992 they demolished the building the borehole was in and failed to remove the vent pipe (they just smashed it)and cap the hole first so we had a lot of methane seeping out of the rubble and someone went and called the fire brigade, then the HSE and we had a great big fuss.They got this expert from the university to look at it and he just ummed and ahhed. We said why don't we just fill it in? He said it's a deep hole it will take a lot of filling. Right next to him was about six tons of brick and concrete rubble and a JCB. Experts eh?

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

The Parksider wrote: majorhoundii wrote: I remember Tetleys Family Ale - also their Dinner Ale. Didn't they also brew a barley wine? Was it called Arctic? I never took any notice of the Barley Wine. It was called something like Triple gold but I really don't know, someone else may recall it of it may come to me. I don't think it was brewed at Tetleys, at least post 1973 never saw it chalked up on the fermenters."Arctic" ws the Arctic Lite low carb Lager. Bit of a con I think as all lagers are pretty low carb. No there was definitely a barley wine called Arctic - but it may have been John Smiths. All the brewers used to brew one - Youngers Triple Century, one called Stingo, Whitbread Gold Label. You may be right about ~Triple Gold. They also used to brew a light mild called Falstaff - which I believe was to replace the famous Ramsdens Light Mild when Tetley took that brewery over.Robinsons still brew one called "Old Tom" - it's very strong and Asda sell it. IIRC barley wine used to be sold in "nips"

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Sam Smiths Stingo8%, nice.two pints is too much, but one's not enough    

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

John Smiths' barley wine was called Magnet Old. I used to drink it in the Fairway. /shame

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

geordxAa'd hev thowt yee waad hev been drinkin a pint of Fed in yer neck o the woods. Divvent worry pet, I'll not let anyone knaa of yer southern barley wine ways.

Si

Post by Si »

Jogon wrote: Sam Smiths Stingo8%, nice.two pints is too much, but one's not enough     Reminds me of John Shuttleworth's "One Cup Of Tea Is Never Enough, But Two Is One Too Many."

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

siHe must have cribbed that from me & comment on strong ale.He also spoke wisely of that awful predicament we have all had when we have started a pudding and "can't go back to savoury".It's up on youtube.Poignant stuff.

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

Jogon wrote: siHe must have cribbed that from me & comment on strong ale.He also spoke wisely of that awful predicament we have all had when we have started a pudding and "can't go back to savoury".It's up on youtube.Poignant stuff. "That shepherd's pie was stunnin',""But I'm half way through mi puddin'""An' I can't go back to savoury now"