Tetley Bitter

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

majorhoundii wrote: Jogon wrote: siHe must have cribbed that from me & comment on strong ale.He also spoke wisely of that awful predicament we have all had when we have started a pudding and "can't go back to savoury".It's up on youtube.Poignant stuff. "That shepherd's pie was stunnin',""But I'm half way through mi puddin'""An' I can't go back to savoury now" Your a spy.No I'm not, I'm a shepherd.Ah, a shepherds pie.Credit Spike Milligan I think.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

simong

Post by simong »

You rarely see Tetley's Imperial outside the north east if at all and was common when I was at University in Middlesbrough in the mid 80s. It was a stronger and darker brew than Tetley's Bitter and similar to the other local beers, Cameron's Strongarm, Vaux Samson, Whitbread Castle Eden Ale and of course Newcastle Brown, all around 4.2% and all capable of giving you a massive heid the next morning. I assume it was brewed for the north east and is now contract brewed by Camerons of Hartlepool.    

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Morrisons have bottled Tetley's Huntsman's Alehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/ralph-dot/5689822 ... am/mention of Northampton on back label. Went for Greene King Suffolk Springer.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I tried some last week. Not unpleasant, nothing special.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Jogon wrote: Morrisons have bottled Tetley's Huntsman's AleWent for Greene King Suffolk Springer. Tetleys is being pulled down so there's no Tetley's ales any more.Only marketing hype.Sound choice the suffolk Springer. A rich and tastey 6%Try the Adnams Broadside for ever richer and tastier.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Re:earlier post,I too used to drink in hare & hounds,west ardsley.Excellent bitter,landlord Jack Fountain(wife mary)....never take a pint back tho,chances were used be scratched.....such was pride in keeping Teleys in tip top condition back then ! Other excellent Teleys could also be got at Albion,Sycamore(secky),Slip Inn,Bridgefield,Miners,Rock,Stump Cross all in Morley.Garden Gate in Hunslet was one of the best....they turned over more Tetleys cask there than just about anywhere in country.Landlord Laurie Graham later ran Town Hall Tavern with much success.Prior to that he ran the now demolished Black Lion in Hunslet.Denis Ashman followed him at the "Gate".As for town,my favourite 4(tht apart) had to be The Adelphi,Whip,Ship and Black Lion(now spencers) for quality.Was like nectar back then and blew all other beers outta sight.Other notables included:Wrens,Coburg,Scarboro' taps,Nags Head et al.Blooming Rose,Hunslet bwas a massive lunch time pub but drink drive clampdowns put paid to that ! Great ale 'n grub tho.Teleys(proper) went into steady decline starting in the mid 80's until it became almost unrecognisable by the late 90's.There was some right rubbish being turned out then and after.They will never recover what they had.....after all it's not even made in Leeds anymore.I wish I had that recipe back from the 70's.....I'm sure someone has somewhere !                
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

Si

Post by Si »

somme1916 wrote: ...such was pride in keeping Tetleys in tip top condition back then ! Tetleys (proper) went into steady decline starting in the mid 80's until it became almost unrecognisable by the late 90's. There was some right rubbish being turned out then and after. They will never recover what they had.....after all it's not even made in Leeds anymore.                 How very true Somme. Good Tetley's in the 1970s in Pudsey included the White Cross, The Royal and the Old Roundabout.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Spot the deliberate mistake re:my earlierLaurie Graham formerly kept THE OLD RED LION in Hunslet.....How silly of me.It came to me on the bus this afty.I remember the White Horse,Pudsey.....that was good ale indeed ! Some gud 'uns in Rodley too and along Leeds/Bradford Rd into Bramley 'n Stanningley.What a waste...........

book

Post by book »

I remember travelling from Headingley to Hunslet on the 74 bus to get a pint in the Garden Gate.
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Well worth the bus ride to go to the Gate............was a legend in it's own lifetime.A haunt for many Leeds RL players in their"spare time"...........Boy,they could drink some !