The Duchess of York

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Ro-Man

Post by Ro-Man »

This one's the flyer for the last month The Duchess was open. A bit of history, plus a coffeee stain for good measure.
Attachments
__TFMF_lcpjwtehqbtiwx55ucwv1wqj_c6e349d3-32ad-44db-86b0-1e175e68f40e_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_lcpjwtehqbtiwx55ucwv1wqj_c6e349d3-32ad-44db-86b0-1e175e68f40e_0_main.jpg (355.26 KiB) Viewed 3615 times

munki

Post by munki »

Wow, JJ72, Chumbawumba, HMHB, The Fall, all in one month. Oh, & Corinne Bailey Rae hidden in there under the guise of 'Helen' (her band, before she went solo), as well. What a venue!Where any of our readers out there at the Nirvana gig?
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

Ro-Man wrote: This one's the flyer for the last month The Duchess was open. A bit of history, plus a coffeee stain for good measure. Now there's a bit of history. The question mark on the 23rd turned out to be Terrorvision, that was the last gig I ever saw at the Duchess. Amazing show, that was - hell, I remember seeing them at the Duchess a few years earlier when they were still called Spoilt Bratz. I was at the Gallon Drunk/Beachbuggy gig too.

Geordi

Post by Geordi »

Was about to say -Terrorvision was on. They were late comming on as LUFC was playing an away european game, so they were watching that before playing the gig.Damm good show it was as well!!

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

munki wrote: Wow, JJ72, Chumbawumba, HMHB, The Fall, all in one month. Oh, & Corinne Bailey Rae hidden in there under the guise of 'Helen' (her band, before she went solo), as well. What a venue!Where any of our readers out there at the Nirvana gig? Not only that .Munki - but half Man half biscuit as well!!! remember 'All I want for christmas is a Dukla prague away shirt'????
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Priestly House wrote: Duchess couldn't hold a candle to the Fforde Grene on Roundhay Road - That was the launching pad for SO many bands. If you were a success with that HEAVY crowd there, you'd be all over the New Musical Express, in the 70's. 5 mins of fame guaranteed!If you couldn't please the crowd, you'd be bottled offstage and your transit would have its tyres slashed in the carpark! i totally agree,people werequeueimg at 5 on sunday nights when it was not opened 'til 7...simple minds...dire straights...the jam...the sex pistols.if you wanted fame it was the ffordy{or the haddon hall,to a lesser extent)...happy days!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Dejadude

Post by Dejadude »

For everyone interested... I was once the Landlord of The Duchess of York on Vicar Lane in the City Centre of Leeds. I am building a Duchess Tribute site on myspace. The URL for the site is: http://www.myspace.com/duchess_of_york_leeds_ukI am designing this site because I want to bring her back to life... at least over the internet. I know that with all of us together, we can do this. The Duchess gave me some of the absolute best years of my life (5 years) and many more memories (18 years). I love the girl.I invite everyone who has a story to please send it to me... come into my Duchess Tribute page on myspace and feel free to make comments, tell stories and share experiences. This is open to bands, previous staff, roadies, fans, regular punters... promoters, draymen, anyone and everyone DUCHESS. If you wish, you may email me direct: robindover@hotmail.com.This is some of what I have actually said on the Duchess Tribute site:Hello Friends of The Duchess! I am Robin Dover, the Virtual Landlord and previous Landlord of the beloved, famous and deeply missed Duchess of York, which was at 71 Vicar Lane, in the City Centre of Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. This site is in honour of and in tribute to one of the greatest live music venues in history anywhere on this planet... The Duchess Of York in Leeds. I have started this site as a precursor to a book I intend to finish writing regarding the many, many phenomenal stories of real life people living, working, partying and performing within the Duchess. I am open to relate stories from the many wonderful people who have passed thru her doors. My story spans from late 1989 until mid 1994 and early 1995, just before it was gutted by Hugo Boss, silencing a major music venue and turning this historic musical landmark in the great North of England into a boutique. Anyone who has a story... please send it to me and I will give you credit for your contribution. I would also like to say that my intent for this site, as a social experiment, is to create a new Present... a new NOW for The Duchess. Through all of us coming together, I believe we can create the hottest 'Live Music' venue on-line. With the right team of people, I know this can happen. So bring us your ideas and contributions... your music and 'Live' videos and we will begin regular gig nights and create free concerts that will give up and coming bands as well as seasoned favorites and legends a platform to perform and entertain the world... right here from The Duchess of York... in Leeds... at 71 Vicar Lane! Our Gig Guide will arrive soon! This is cool... So please... come in... look around... and makes yourselves at home. I will be serving beers and ales as usual... and plenty of the music that you loved so much.Thanks Again... Long Live The Duchess!Robin DoverVirtual Landlord - The Duchess of York - Leeds

dERvXeroX

Post by dERvXeroX »

I just heard that the legendary "Flat nose" John passed away in hospital on the 3rd January. RIP

Clankylad

Post by Clankylad »

dERvXeroX wrote: I just heard that the legendary "Flat nose" John passed away in hospital on the 3rd January. RIP Sad to hear about Flat Nose. He may not have been much of a soundman, but he was a character and used to wear some memorably minging t-shirts!
"This is the North. We do what we like."

Dejadude

Post by Dejadude »

Yes. Sad to say it is true. Our beloved Legend, Flatnose John, has died. However, he DID have his moments as a Soundman. He was also an exceptional Lighting Engineer... he pulled off some incredible light shows at The Duchess. And he could most definitely put away some Kronenberg... When I get some time over the weekend, I will start a BLOG in honor of John Trueman. Rest In Peace Flat Nose and God Bless You.Robin Dover- Virtual Landlord - The Duchess Of York - Leedshttp://www.myspace.com/duchess_of_york_leeds_uk