Unknown/Hidden Gems

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
zip55

Post by zip55 »

chameleon wrote: Cardiarms wrote: The Tripe Shop!Can't stand the stuff but I'm proud we've got one in a weird way.What the hell is a savoury duck? Haven't seen those for years but remember (bought ready cooked) then being very tasty.Having looked for a recipe and thinking about the make-up, makes me wonder haow many things we enjoy - but might not touch if we knew what they were made of!1 lb. pig's liver2 medium onions4 oz. fat porkPinch of thymeGenerous 1/2 teaspoon powdered sagePinch of basilSalt and pepperPinch grated nutmeg1 eggBreadcrumbsPig's caul Slice the liver, onions and pork thinly. Put in a saucepan with the thyme, sage, basil, salt, pepper and nutmeg and barely cover with water.Simmer for 1/2 hour, then strain off the liquid and save for the gravy. Mince the contents of the stewpan finely. Add the beaten egg and sufficient breadcrumbs to make into a fairly firm mixture and mix thoroughly. Form into balls and enclose each one in a piece of caul. Place in baking tin, and add a little gravy. Bake at 400 until nicely browned. Serve with a good thickened gravy. If preferred, the mixture can be pressed into a well greased baking tin and marked into squares. Cover with caul and cut into squares after cooking. Savoury duck is known in the less enlightened areas of England as 'faggots' ....

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Ahhhhhh....!

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

[quotenick="zip55"] chameleon wrote: Cardiarms wrote: The Tripe Shop!Can't stand the stuff but I'm proud we've got one in a weird way.What the hell is a savoury duck? Haven't seen those for years but remember (bought ready cooked) then being very tasty.Savoury duck is known in the less enlightened areas of England as 'faggots' .... Particularly in the Black Country. Causes a good deal of confusion to visiting Americans.ISTR that savoury ducks and faggots are not actually synonymical, but blowed if I can remember the difference, and Mum's dead now - she always swore blind that faggots were inferior. Probably lacking in pig's testicle or somesuch.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Si

Post by Si »

Bert wrote: Si wrote: Right on the edge of Leeds, I know, but when I was a kid my favourite place was "t'valley", the area on the nearside of Pudsey Beck, opposite Black Carr Woods, near Smalewell railway tunnel. Nowadays, it's very overgrown, probably because kids don't go chumpin' down there anymore, but in the 60s a whole bunch of us (aged about 4 to 10) spent hours "laikin'" down there - messing about, tadpoling and paddling in the (polluted!) beck. As teenagers, my brother and I kept our motorbikes in the garage behind The Fox and Grapes, and would practice our trials skills going up and down the "black-track." Great memories. Si's description fits to a T another " 't valley " - one where I spent most of my childhood by going down 't ginnell at 't bottom o' Poole Square in Crossgates. We did all 't same things there, plus making great underground dens by cutting up turf, digging a huge hole, fixing a network of branches over it, and then covering it with soil and the turf again to make it invisible apart from the step down into it. Better not tell you what we got up to inside. Slightly more embarrassingly now, we also spent days on end just sitting on the railway fence there underlining in our train spotting books the numbers of the trains that went by, with the occasional 'streak' as a real special thrill. Hi Bert. There was a ready-made den down our "valley." I think it was the remains of a building associated with either the disused quarry or the construction of the railway embankment. It was a hole in the ground spanned by a stone-built arch, like a rudimentary cellar, open at both ends. I don't know if it finally collapsed, but I can find no trace of it nowadays. There was also the rusting chassis of a very old car in the beck - Model T or something, also disappeared. On top of the quarry, was a huge square stone with a hole in it, through which a big rusty chain ran. I guess it was a crane's counter-balance? There was also a stone-lined trough (like a long inspection-pit) with wheel-grooves carved along each side. This is where most of the frog-spawn was collected!    

Bert

Post by Bert »

Hi Si. It all sounds so wonderfully, nostalgically familiar. In our valley there were several similar bolt holes. One was a brick lined tunnel under the railway line into Seacroft Hospital field. Another was, just a few yards away from that, a large brick-lined sewer spilling out into the beck, which we used to go into for about 50 yards to where it entered a 20-foot or so tall brick ventilation tower, the internal steel ladder of which we climbed up, lifted the manhole cover at the top, and emerged on top to survey the world below us. The only trouble was, although I had no trouble clambering out from the top rung of the ladder, I had extreme difficulty committing myself to hanging by my fingertips and locating it with my feet to get back down again, with the result that the first time I did it I spent the better part of a day up there shaking with fear before finally summoning up the courage to do it.Further along the vally near the 'black hills' - which I think were spoil heaps from the old Osmondthorpe pits - there were fascinating old brick basements surviving from what I assume must have been old colliery buildings. Better not go into what we all got up to in there either.All these things that were the essential scaffold of my most exciting adventures as a child have now been planned out of existence lest kids hurt themselves. No wonder so many of them now get their thrills by committing GBH on each other and the rest of us instead.    

weenie

Post by weenie »

Another gem of mine is when we was younger we use to go laiking down a place called 'Lodge' on ring road at farnley, we use to go down Pipe and Nook lane before they built Gala bingo mess around on there then across to otherside on the beck. behind the tree's there was this opening just at side, we use to sit on there and then make swings across beck, then a bit furthur up there was an airraid shelter we use to mess around in. great times. i remeber once me dad came down to look for us and he knew we was at the 'Lodge' but he ended up going to the building btm of stanningly road town street coz that had the name Lodge on it. quite amusing at the time that he thought we was in a totally different place

Si

Post by Si »

Bert wrote: Hi Si. It all sounds so wonderfully, nostalgically familiar. In our valley there were several similar bolt holes. One was a brick lined tunnel under the railway line into Seacroft Hospital field. Another was, just a few yards away from that, a large brick-lined sewer spilling out into the beck, which we used to go into for about 50 yards to where it entered a 20-foot or so tall brick ventilation tower, the internal steel ladder of which we climbed up, lifted the manhole cover at the top, and emerged on top to survey the world below us. The only trouble was, although I had no trouble clambering out from the top rung of the ladder, I had extreme difficulty committing myself to hanging by my fingertips and locating it with my feet to get back down again, with the result that the first time I did it I spent the better part of a day up there shaking with fear before finally summoning up the courage to do it.Further along the vally near the 'black hills' - which I think were spoil heaps from the old Osmondthorpe pits - there were fascinating old brick basements surviving from what I assume must have been old colliery buildings. Better not go into what we all got up to in there either.All these things that were the essential scaffold of my most exciting adventures as a child have now been planned out of existence lest kids hurt themselves. No wonder so many of them now get their thrills by committing GBH on each other and the rest of us instead.     Funnily enough, we had a tunnel down our "valley" too - Smalewell railway tunnel (disused.) We used to dare each other to walk all the way through to Greenside. The track which led down to the valley crossed a bridge over the old railbed. Looking left was the view which has just been posted on the "Stay Lucky on DVD" thread! Looking right, the cutting became a huge embankment stretching to Tyersal. Half way along, a bridge had been demolished, leaving a nasty drop for the careless... I can just remember when the track was still in use. The trains could be seen in the distance crossing the embankment from our back bedroom window. I think the line closed about 1965?