curry houses

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

simonm wrote: I'd be very careful where you go up Roundhay road. It's not the bronx, but it can be quite intimidating at certain times of the day! Well I've eaten there without much bother although not regularly. I've certainly explored some of the seedier looking areas of Bradford in search of curry over the last thirty years without taking any harm. I'm a bit of a curry nut TBH, I've ruined my tastbuds with too much chilli conseqently I put it in everything - how sad is that?
Industria Omnia Vincit

simonm

Post by simonm »

Like I said, it's not the bronx, more intimidating, especially late at night. I love good curry, but I usually stick to city centre places.
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

Chrism wrote: The one on Burley Road is the Corner Cafe and is excellent. You can take your own booze and you can wait in the Queens pub opposite and the waiter will come get you when your table is ready!! We used to drive up & go there perhaps twice a month, a wonderful establishment!Sadly we haven't been for about 3 years, we ought to rectifiy that errorGreat food & absolutely no pretensions toward fripperies!It was known as the 'Old Dehli', don't know it still is?Now, I l know it was an old bank, but who's was it?From memory the style compares to the (now closed) Yorkshire Bank at the top of WestGate in Wakefield (but it was usually dark when we went to the 'Dehli')http://news.webshots.com/photo/11356201 ... Digressing SlightlyWas the building on the cross-roads of Burley Road/Willow Road/Cardigan Road a branch of the Midland bank? simonm wrote: I'd be very careful where you go up Roundhay road. It's not the bronx, but it can be quite intimidating at certain times of the day! I like Maureens.If I'm in Leeds, I'll make a side-trip to go up there & get Curried Goat, with Rice & Peas (Kidney Beans to us), along with Dumplings.I'll sometimes eat it in, or get a 'carry out' if I'm on my way home

ceejaylufc

Post by ceejaylufc »

Anybody remember Naffee's - best onion bharjies ever , there used to be a Corner Cafe just off Buslingthorpe Road as well.    

Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

Used to go to Nafees almost 40 years ago best original curry I ever tasted in Leeds.TBH I don't think there is an authentic curry cooked anywhere nowadays.Who in their right minds would serve a currythat has been thickened.A proper curry should be meat,spices and oil.The thinner the better.All curry dishes are served for the English Palate.Garbage at it's best.
"always expect the unexpected"

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Leeds-lad wrote: Used to go to Nafees almost 40 years ago best original curry I ever tasted in Leeds.TBH I don't think there is an authentic curry cooked anywhere nowadays.Who in their right minds would serve a currythat has been thickened.A proper curry should be meat,spices and oil.The thinner the better.All curry dishes are served for the English Palate.Garbage at it's best. I used to go to Nafees and the one next door (can't remember its name) A few years ago there was a really cheap one just down Woodhouse Lane - they used to do an "all you can eat" buffet for about a fiver.Best curry in the world (outside India or Pakistan that is I suppose) is Chicken Masala at the Sheesh Mahal on Westgate in Bradford. It's tasty, it's very dry (as opposed to wet) and whilst it's spicey it's not a mouth (or bum) burner. We've been going there for about 25 years. It's very basic. Plastic tables etc. And it is in Bradford's red light district, but the food is great and very reasonable. I've had some nice curries up Roundhay Road, and Ashiqs on Bradford Road in Dewsbury isn't bad, but the Sheesh is my favourite.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

Hi Trojan,I used to go to one in Bradford just further down from Talkof Yorkshire nightclub,cheap as chips place with canteen style tablesUsed to get your curry passed through a hole in the ceiling.Lovely curry with chapatis for less than 10 bob.I think at that time there were only about 10 items on the menu in total.
"always expect the unexpected"

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

When I first met my husband(30+years ago) he took me to The Kashmir in Bradford. It was down some steps on the same road as the city mortuary which was bad enough but once inside I was horrified (being a posh bird!) at the place.Formica tables,wonky chairs and a sink in the corner.I'd only ever had a Vesta curry before so just said I'd have whatever he was having and that was a mistake as I got a vindaloo! and spent the following day on the loo!

ceejaylufc

Post by ceejaylufc »

What about the Karachi Sports and Social Club about 20 odd years ago in Bradford, best place for a cheap curry, no cutlery just chapattis, near the ice rink can't remember the street through

edgey2001

Post by edgey2001 »

Its on Neal St, You can see the signs for it in front of you as you go past the Ice rink. You can even Google Street view it aswell.