The Phono

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Post Reply
Chrism
Posts: 1827
Joined: Sun 20 Jan, 2008 8:26 am

Post by Chrism »

I first went in the place around 1972/3 and it was called The WigWam club then. It was nice and clean and the toilets didn't stink! I spent a lot of my youth and adult life in there. I ran an indie night there in the late 80's (called CREATION), it ran for about 3 years. I also DJ'd a couple of times on saturday afternoons in the mid 80's (as a stand in for Jeff). I had a load of great times in The WigWam/Le Phonographique/Phono.ps Marc Almond DJ'd at The Warehouse for a short time.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Brandy
Posts: 1550
Joined: Wed 21 Feb, 2007 8:03 am

Post by Brandy »

Chrism wrote: I first went in the place around 1972/3 and it was called The WigWam club then. It was nice and clean and the toilets didn't stink! I spent a lot of my youth and adult life in there. I ran an indie night there in the late 80's (called CREATION), it ran for about 3 years. I also DJ'd a couple of times on saturday afternoons in the mid 80's (as a stand in for Jeff). I had a load of great times in The WigWam/Le Phonographique/Phono.ps Marc Almond DJ'd at The Warehouse for a short time. marc almond used to work in the warehouse as a cloak attendent ive never heard of him being a dj there
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Yorkshireranger
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri 18 Jan, 2008 2:15 pm

Post by Yorkshireranger »

My mates brother was the owner/bar person, not sure which in the late seventies early eighties, flitted between "Martine's" under the Corn exchange and the "Phonagraphic" when it wa a decent venue, for the women

David Raven
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue 05 Feb, 2008 4:28 pm

Post by David Raven »

I thought there'd be a thread about the Phono! My night out of choice from 1985 til it closed!And the backdrop for most of my club-life from age seventeen to early thirties...The famous carpet that you stuck to like araldite, the famous pillar that you danced around, the infamous gents toilets that you had to wade in and out of once it passed 10:30... Ahhh! A bloke called Geoff was the DJ I remember mostly. And the twins who owned it. Unforgettable place!CheersDave    
Northern Earth Walks

Chrism
Posts: 1827
Joined: Sun 20 Jan, 2008 8:26 am

Post by Chrism »

Brandy wrote: Chrism wrote: I first went in the place around 1972/3 and it was called The WigWam club then. It was nice and clean and the toilets didn't stink! I spent a lot of my youth and adult life in there. I ran an indie night there in the late 80's (called CREATION), it ran for about 3 years. I also DJ'd a couple of times on saturday afternoons in the mid 80's (as a stand in for Jeff). I had a load of great times in The WigWam/Le Phonographique/Phono.ps Marc Almond DJ'd at The Warehouse for a short time. marc almond used to work in the warehouse as a cloak attendent ive never heard of him being a dj there Marc and Dave used to do an alternative/New Romantic/Synth pop club on a saturday afternoon, at The Warehouse. This ran for a very short time in 1980.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Trojan
Posts: 1990
Joined: Sat 22 Dec, 2007 3:54 pm

Post by Trojan »

[quotenick="laurentia"]I remember when they used to finish up the evening by playing a little ditty called "poisoning pigeons in the park" - lol. Everyone was usually too wasted to care, but I thought that song was hilarious. quote]Tom Lehrer - an American maths professor for the day job I think. Very witty - a bit camp.
Industria Omnia Vincit

User avatar
Croggy
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri 21 Sep, 2007 8:28 pm

Post by Croggy »

[quotenick="Trojan"] laurentia wrote: I remember when they used to finish up the evening by playing a little ditty called "poisoning pigeons in the park" - lol. Everyone was usually too wasted to care, but I thought that song was hilarious. quote]Tom Lehrer - an American maths professor for the day job I think. Very witty - a bit camp. Listen here: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yhuMLpdnOjY

User avatar
liits
Posts: 1153
Joined: Sun 25 Mar, 2007 11:24 am
Location: North London
Contact:

Post by liits »

Northernguitars wrote: AHHH....The Phono....I worked in the Phono back in the early days..the 70's untill it was closed down and changed hands...with legends like Ken Haigh ,Jock, the Kelly brothers , Denis Martin . Electric John, Dave Lynch ,Carl and Paul Morffit .and many more . This was the only club you could get in in Leeds if you wore jeans and had long hair or you were a hippie or biker and liked hard rock .I know the police have a nice set of photo's taken when it was raided for drugs , there were 300 people in that night ...and the bands ....Slade played there as a skinhead band but Hendrix was never there although he did play the International Club and stayed in a flat in Hyde Park before playing in Ilkley. One of my older brothers was a "regular" in the Phono on the mid 70's. I recall that he bought a jumper from Man For All Seasons in the Arndale Centre in Crossgates which had the desighn of Mondrion, being white with black lines and red, yellow and blue squares. While wearing this, he was refused entrance to the Phono because this was the "mark" of the "Secroft Stompers", a local gang of the time [of which my brother would never have been accepted as a part of, he had only bought the jumper because he liked the look of it.

User avatar
liits
Posts: 1153
Joined: Sun 25 Mar, 2007 11:24 am
Location: North London
Contact:

Post by liits »

Yorkshireranger wrote: My mates brother was the owner/bar person, not sure which in the late seventies early eighties, flitted between "Martine's" under the Corn exchange and the "Phonagraphic" when it wa a decent venue, for the women OMG, I must be old, I can remember when the Corn Exchange was famous for hoding the model railway exhibition every november! How sad is that?Bars? in the Corn Exchange? Oh dear!

dazzel
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon 31 Dec, 2007 7:46 am

Post by dazzel »

anybody reme a guy called 'Snake'? there was always a crowd going back to his house for a smoke....he used to have a formula 1 racing wheel as the base for his coffee table,,,always a good conversation point!!!

Post Reply