The Phono

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
ceejaylufc

Post by ceejaylufc »

I remember Marc Almond at the Phono, and at the Warehouse as well circa 1980, was a semi regular along with my bruv and his mate at the time, they were robotic dancers at the warehouse

exiled in essex

Post by exiled in essex »

I work with someone who says she worked at the Phono in the 1970's. I can't verify if this is the truth as I never went and the only history of the place I know is from what I have read here but she said she used to do the burgers, and before heating the hotplate up she had to scrape the rat poo off it. She also said it was never cleaned, so if indeed they did do burgers in there and any of you had one, you may well have consumed more than you bargained for.

dERvXeroX

Post by dERvXeroX »

humanbean wrote: Crikey space cadet dave! Look at me with my healthy locks looking youthful and carefree!! I seem to have forgotten my cigarette Do you remember when we all went to see Rocky Horror at the Grand and you turned up in just your jacket and underpants? Oh I do miss the silly old days. aaaaaaah, happy times!silly was fun.

dERvXeroX

Post by dERvXeroX »

LE PHONOGRAPHIQUE REUNION - 1st AUGUST 2008!!There will be a 'Le Phonographique' reunion on Friday August 1st 2008 at Rio's, Leeds (in Ricky's).A fair number of DJs from the 80's and 90's will be playing the music of the time. There is a pillar in the middle of the dancefloor for the gothic hokey-cokey. Anyone that used to frequent this unique, dirty dive are cordially invited to attend. We cant guarantee you'll get dirty as Ricky's is a nicer club these days. This will be a fantastic chance to meet many of the old faces and catch up with people you ain't seen in years so tell everyone who used to go.Tickets will be £5 on the door, dress code is what ever you want.Guaranteed to be an event not to miss!

Paul B

Post by Paul B »

What a brill thread its bringing back loads of memories, I went into the phono loads of times but was usualy to be found on a sunday night in Rickys proping up the end of the bar near to the loos lol.I also remember angel from rickys its nice to hear he is still doing tatts.    

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

dERvXeroX wrote: LE PHONOGRAPHIQUE REUNION - 1st AUGUST 2008!!There will be a 'Le Phonographique' reunion on Friday August 1st 2008 at Rio's, Leeds (in Ricky's).A fair number of DJs from the 80's and 90's will be playing the music of the time. There is a pillar in the middle of the dancefloor for the gothic hokey-cokey. Anyone that used to frequent this unique, dirty dive are cordially invited to attend. We cant guarantee you'll get dirty as Ricky's is a nicer club these days. This will be a fantastic chance to meet many of the old faces and catch up with people you ain't seen in years so tell everyone who used to go.Tickets will be £5 on the door, dress code is what ever you want.Guaranteed to be an event not to miss! Now THAT sounds like fun...

Ruffarse

Post by Ruffarse »

On an earlier page, someone mentioned that Hendrix had popped in to the Phono before doing a gig at Ilkley in '67. I must have missed him, but what happened is that he was supposed to do a gig at the Stoney Lea Hotel at Ilkley, a venue with a safety limit of about 200. Unfortunately about 3000 people turned up (It was pay on the door in those days) so the police and fire services wouldn't letthe gig go ahead. I remember there was a mini riot, so a bunch of us went on the sauce down in Otley.There was a band played the Phonograph(as it was then called) circa 70 called the Voodoo Children. I think one of the members had a brother known as Roger the DJ who used to DJ in the Hyde Park pub around '71.Also anyone remember Big Tony Hardcastle (A proper gentleman) and Marco Marroco on the door?
Old Mods never die, they just semi retire.

Misc

Post by Misc »

I remember going to Le Phono on Saturday afternoons and then through to Wakey on the bus to go to Players and the Beehive. This must have been just before it closed in the 90s but it was still pretty "goth" - I wasn't remotely a goth and was always a bit scared. How was the reunion night? It sounds ace, sorry I missed that!

Lesley1000

Post by Lesley1000 »

oh my god. was shane the guy who used to pose all the time (good looking in a camp way but he was straight) very tall hair, girlfriend who was good looking but a [edited for content]. they used to dance but constantly look into mirrors!you are really ringing some bells now!    

Lesley1000

Post by Lesley1000 »

dERvXeroX wrote: I vaguely remember before the early 90's refit, there was a kind of barrier in front of and away from the bar and most weeks there would be, leaning on it, Shane, Justin, Moss, Angel, Ill have to have a think, who else. I saw Justin a few years ago and he hasn't changed at all. I still see Angel, Mostly at Rock of Ages.What ever happened to Shane? i dont now how to reply on this stupid site