The Phono

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
munki

Post by munki »

I nicked this picture off another website. It used to be so exciting walking down these steps, with the smell of dry ice coming up into the Merrion Centre. Please, more pics from people!
Attachments
bar-phono.jpg
bar-phono.jpg (7.86 KiB) Viewed 24043 times
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

munki

Post by munki »

...oh, & it's now a blocked off, underground, 'secret' place, so fully qualifies for inclusion on this website!
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

I used to love the Phono, and Bali Hi !

mourning_belle

Post by mourning_belle »

gosh i must have tons of pictures of the inside, i'll link you to some photos somewhere soon.

munki

Post by munki »

I would love to see some pics of the Phono in action... The Goth Hokey Cokey around the mirrored central pillar! I spent countless hours down there but for some reason my friends & I totally failed to take a single picture down there! Maybe I will be in some of your pictures...Any truth to the rumours that Jimi Hendrix spent a bit of time down there in the 60s? The only 'pop star' (haha), was Andrew Eldritch, god love 'im! I was excited about it at the time, but rumours of Jimi Hendrix being down there would be better!Has anyone heard that story?

bigpants

Post by bigpants »

was a bit of a phono fan myself in my (misspent) youth - after scrumpies closed it was the nearest thing to a rock club we had. I remember reading somewhere that goth was invented in the phono. was a weird quote but was something like "fred smith and dave brown invented goth, in the phono at 11pm on tuesday 5th april 1978." very precise stuff, i just cant remember where i read it.

munki

Post by munki »

Was Scrumpies the one downstairs where the Hifi Club now is? & where the Leeds Waxworks Museum used to be?

Letty

Post by Letty »

The phongrafique???? It was a rival club.... never went. I used to work inTiffanys! Not the most enticing club in Town, and the one who liked the BAli Hai, you wouldn't if you'd seen in bright lights when we had to clean up. ;-(

munki

Post by munki »

Yes, Le Phonographique, indeed. Or Bar Phono, sometimes.I'm not sure they ever cleared up in there. The carpet was covered in something similair to black engine oil. Which is probably why Goth was invented down there. If you wore anything other than black, you came out looking absolutely filthy!But Clare the DJ would always play 'Poison Street' for me every time, which got my friends back in 'Madchester' very jealous.

Letty

Post by Letty »

I never got past the front door. those steps looked kinda spooky which reinforces the whole goth thing. Had quite a cult clientele didn't it???? engine oil on the floor? At tiffs we stuck to the carpet! At least I discovered there was carpet, thought for years it was tiled.... with various layers of liquid substances. yuch!