The Phono

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
big s

Post by big s »

I remember going to the wigwam club which eventually became the phono club.It had a fire exit which led to the underground area of the merrion centre.
at least until the world stops going round.

laurentia

Post by laurentia »

I'm probably older than most of you, and was a visitor at the Phono in the 80's. Me and my goth boyfriend went there every Saturday and got legless. I remember the bouncers (or were they owners) who were twins (males). There was a female dj, very young, very blonde. Mark Almond used to visit, although he was already famous by then and no longer dj'd (he had previously been dj at a club that I used to attend but can't remember the name of.) We did have some "famous" visitors. David Ball, lol. Also, that blonde girl from Human League - Suzanne. She came one time but got some very rough treatment, I believe. One of my friends said that someone spat at her! That Yorkshire/Lancashire thing would rear its head a lot in those days. Or was it just jealousy? Probably a bit of both.I remember when they used to finish up the evening by playing a little ditty called "poisoning pigeons in the park" - lol. Everyone was usually too wasted to care, but I thought that song was hilarious. Good memories. (OLD memories!)

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Was she from Lancashire? I thought the whole band were from Sheffield.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

Where did the lancashire thing come into it??...all the people youve mentioned are from yorkshire, well, apart from mark almond who was originally a lancastrian.

laurentia

Post by laurentia »

Just color me stupid this morning. Yes, they were from Sheffield, not Manchester. For some reason I had it in my head that they were Mancs. I've been gone too long, lol.Guess we can put the spitting down to jealousy then!Yeah, Marc Almond was from Blackpool, wasn't he? I never spoke to him, but I remember him dj'ing at the other club (can't remember, grrr) and seeing him in passing at the Phono.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

well if you look at the bbc messageboards, there is almost as much rivalry between Leeds and Sheffield as ther is between Gods own county and the other place over t' Pennines ;-)
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

dERvXeroX

Post by dERvXeroX »

laurentia wrote: I'm probably older than most of you, and was a visitor at the Phono in the 80's. Me and my goth boyfriend went there every Saturday and got legless. I remember the bouncers (or were they owners) who were twins (males). There was a female dj, very young, very blonde. Mark Almond used to visit, although he was already famous by then and no longer dj'd (he had previously been dj at a club that I used to attend but can't remember the name of.) We did have some "famous" visitors. David Ball, lol. Also, that blonde girl from Human League - Suzanne. She came one time but got some very rough treatment, I believe. One of my friends said that someone spat at her! That Yorkshire/Lancashire thing would rear its head a lot in those days. Or was it just jealousy? Probably a bit of both.I remember when they used to finish up the evening by playing a little ditty called "poisoning pigeons in the park" - lol. Everyone was usually too wasted to care, but I thought that song was hilarious. Good memories. (OLD memories!) The famous "twins" did own the club and I think the DJ might be DJ Claire, she was ace and was still DJing in the 90's.

dERvXeroX

Post by dERvXeroX »

big s wrote: I remember going to the wigwam club which eventually became the phono club.It had a fire exit which led to the underground area of the merrion centre. Do you have any pictures?

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

laurentia wrote: I remember when they used to finish up the evening by playing a little ditty called "poisoning pigeons in the park" - lol. Everyone was usually too wasted to care, but I thought that song was hilarious. Oh yeah, Tom Lehrer. I love his stuff. "Poisoning Pigeons In The Park" is the one that everyone seems to know, but he did loads of great and seriously funny songs.

sulkycat

Post by sulkycat »

mark almond....blimey theres memories of the tall trees in yarm! ye gawds i am getting oldi only used to come through to leeds to go to adam & leeds for the punk gigs now that was a posh place ;-)