The Phono

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
floodland

Post by floodland »

the sisters' track 'floorshow' was evidently inspired by phono.

Northernguitars

Post by Northernguitars »

AHHH....The Phono....I worked in the Phono back in the early days..the 70's untill it was closed down and changed hands...with legends like Ken Haigh ,Jock, the Kelly brothers , Denis Martin . Electric John, Dave Lynch ,Carl and Paul Morffit .and many more . This was the only club you could get in in Leeds if you wore jeans and had long hair or you were a hippie or biker and liked hard rock .I know the police have a nice set of photo's taken when it was raided for drugs , there were 300 people in that night ...and the bands ....Slade played there as a skinhead band but Hendrix was never there although he did play the International Club and stayed in a flat in Hyde Park before playing in Ilkley.

munki

Post by munki »

The story I heard was that Hendrix had gone to the club as a punter on that trip to Leeds, not actually played there.
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

bigpants wrote: was a bit of a phono fan myself in my (misspent) youth - after scrumpies closed it was the nearest thing to a rock club we had. I remember reading somewhere that goth was invented in the phono. was a weird quote but was something like "fred smith and dave brown invented goth, in the phono at 11pm on tuesday 5th april 1978." very precise stuff, i just cant remember where i read it. It was certainly one of the centres of Goth, I wouldn't like to say if it was The First Goth Club though. Maybe one of the first three (the Faversham and London's Batcave being the others). It's strange how many of the big Goth bands came from Leeds and the surrounding area...

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

munki wrote: Was Scrumpies the one downstairs where the Hifi Club now is? & where the Leeds Waxworks Museum used to be? Yep, that's the one. Great place, but proper scummy. Made the Phono look positively upmarket!

sarah_orange

Post by sarah_orange »

Ah the Phono! probably the major contributor to my terrible degree result.I was lucky enough to have the last night of the phono for my 35th birthday on 22nd December 2005 - the masses descended to say goodbye to the place and my chum Jack took millions of photos: http://www.revival.stormshadow.com/baa/ ... oorshow/my friend beckie and I were in floods of tears at the end - 16 years of clubbing over. 9 months later the bastard child of the phono was born as I opened theSubculture round the corner where the Bassment used to be. it does, but it's no phono

munki

Post by munki »

Thanks Sarah - great pictures, great memories, & a few familiar faces! I wasn't there that night unfortunately, although I remember the previous 'closing' night just after I finished University in, I think, 1994. I would kill to see some pictures of that, but I'm not sure anyone had the wherewithal to bring a camera.I shall be at your place next door to the old place, for the Situation Leeds event on Tuesday!
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

sarah_orange

Post by sarah_orange »

ah I'd love to go to that but it clashes with my taekwondo class!

dERvXeroX

Post by dERvXeroX »

This one shows the old doorway pre 1993.Apart from it saying "Le Phono" It looks like the same door.Cheers Steve (in picture)

munki

Post by munki »

Pre-1993 is definitely 'my' period at the Phono. I love the other pictures posted up, but when it re-opened with the blue walls, it felt a bit like a sort of... stage set, a nostalgia reconstruction of the club it used to be. So, more pre-1993 pictures like Steve's would be great! They all seem to be taken outside, possibly because it was always too dark inside.