BANDS

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
fevlad

Post by fevlad »

in the 60s all the major cities, especially liverpool of course spawned some classic pop and rock acts.Leeds gave us Christie and the Cherokees(remember seven golden daffodils?-has to be the worst title ever).Why is Leeds' track record for producing major rock/pop talent so mediocre?
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

It's not that bad. Mission, Sisters of Mercy, Soft Cell, Chmebawumba, Wedding Present, Cud, Bridewell Taxis, LFO, Utah Saints, Knightmares on Wax, The Mekons, Gang of Four, The Expelled, Kaiser cheifs, Pigeon Detectives, The Music, Forward Russia, Sunshine Underfround, Corrinne Bailey Rae, Age of Chance, Pale Saints, Whitesnake.Leeds was named best music hotspot by NME in 2004.We might not have too many stadium bands but we should be proud of our small hall culture.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

Don't forget the great (forgotten) Girls At Our Best.Also Red Lorry Yellow Lorry.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Vicious Pink PhenomenaThe March VioletsThe Three JohnsThe Parachute MenSalvationCudThe Hollow MenEmbrace - Actually from Brighouse, near Huddersfield but often talked about as a 'Leeds band'.    
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

Reginal Perrin wrote: It's not that bad. Mission, Sisters of Mercy, Soft Cell, Chmebawumba, Wedding Present, Cud, Bridewell Taxis, LFO, Utah Saints, Knightmares on Wax, The Mekons, Gang of Four, The Expelled, Kaiser cheifs, Pigeon Detectives, The Music, Forward Russia, Sunshine Underfround, Corrinne Bailey Rae, Age of Chance, Pale Saints, Whitesnake.Leeds was named best music hotspot by NME in 2004.We might not have too many stadium bands but we should be proud of our small hall culture. not that bad.but not many household names, and most of then not of the era I'm referring to. The pioneering era of rock/pop bands.and for the love of god the kaiser chiefs.

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

Chrism wrote: Embrace - Actually from Brighouse, near Huddersfield but often talked about as a 'Leeds band'.     They used to rehearse in Leeds (Old Chapel, in Holbeck); they were in at the same time my old band was, and they always used to complain that we were too loud and drowning them out.

zip55

Post by zip55 »

Stevie Wright (Easybeats), Paul & Barry Ryan, Soft Cell ...

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I agree that Leeds record in pop music is not good put beside Liverpool, Manchester in particular and even Sheffield - an oddity of many years standing. Kaiser Chiefs are restoring a bit of pride though!
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

drapesy wrote: I agree that Leeds record in pop music is not good put beside Liverpool, Manchester in particular and even Sheffield - an oddity of many years standing. Kaiser Chiefs are restoring a bit of pride though! watch out for Rochelle: great up and coming band. They have a great singer called Lydia kaye-loads of charisma and she writes their stuff.They were on the Hollyoaks music shwo the other day.

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

Grumbleweeds