Lost Night-Clubs of Leeds!

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
uk-ken

Post by uk-ken »

russ wrote: Crazy Jane wrote: So no-one remembers the Old Bank? Yes i remember the Bank pub in Leeds town center,it was a great place to go in the 80's can't remember what it was after that (Scruffy Murphys ?) and know its the downstairs to the sport bars know.But i much preferred it as the Bank You are talking about the Old bank where Mary O'reiley was on the door. I went up there pretty frequently but just remember the name! Mary a mixed race girl and good mate of mine at the time worked behind the bar there.

Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

That's the one. I remember Cathy Wade(?) behind the bar too, and Mary had a daughter and lad that worked there doing bottles... i recall them having matching rubber trousers at one point(!)
Evil and ambition scatter in the the darkness, leaving behind dubious rumors to fly in public. To the next world, I commit thee.

cinderella

Post by cinderella »

Does anyone remember the Nouveau on East Parade or even Tunge who used to own it? What a great place that was. I also remember dancing at the lunchtime bop sessions in the Mecca in what is now Reiss in the Victoria Quarter. Jimmy Saville used to DJ there. What about a bit later Grobs Bar on East Parade, a very cool place then, or even Get Stuffed run by Lenny Cohen (later of Lens Bar). It was probably Leeds' first bistro!! Gosh the memories flood back!!

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

I remember Nouveau. I worked downstairs in Brahms & Liszt for a while. And I spent a lot of my afterwork hours upstairs.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

cinderella

Post by cinderella »

does anyone remember the 3 Coins club down Albion Street somewhere in the 60s I think. It was owned by Jimmy Savile.?

burtyboy

Post by burtyboy »

Re. Club on Chapeltown Road, I remember the '148' Club there (near the old Hayfield; I belive it used to be what would be termed a "gentleman's club" these days )Also remember Bar-Celona in Kirkstall (what was the old Star & Garter pub in the '60's then became "Raphael's" during the early '70's. A mate of mine used to drag us along occasionaly to see Mod/R&B bands like "Nine Below Zero" & "The Gents"

StevieWonder

Post by StevieWonder »

Geneva wrote: Any memories of the Precinct Club? Good memories of the Precinct next to what was Woolies back in the day. I first met my wife of 30 years there although she was with someone else at the time!

StevieWonder

Post by StevieWonder »

beetee

Post by beetee »

DIGBYS in York place and LENS BAR was a favourite have had many a good 'Neet Aht' in those spots.

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

Doubledave wrote: Briggy wrote: Does anyone remember a dive that was just off Albion Street way back in 1972 or thereabouts? It was when the new Bond Street Centre was being built and I'm not sure if it was a temporary arrangement but it was down an alley at the side of Maples furniture shop, on the right of Albion Street just below the junction with Bond Street/Commercial Street. Only went once on a works night out as part of a club crawl but I seem to remember it was a very weird place with a doorman who was about 8 feet tall with hands like shovels. Very strange night out as I recall but I would be grateful if anyone could remind me what the place was called. That sounds like the Lido Review Bar. The Bouncer was Big Jim Moran. Spent many a happy night there. Found a photograph on flickr of the aforementioned Lido Review Bar, formerly known as the Three Coins. It is at http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielrobo ... 8827351/If you walked up to the top of Mill Hill from Boar Lane, there it was.Apologies if this photograph has already featured on Secret Leeds.