Lost Night-Clubs of Leeds!

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Geneva

Post by Geneva »

JEM wrote: I really hope someone can help me out. I have been trying so hard to remember the name of the nightclub that was owned by Paul and Costa - two greek brothers, in Leeds City Centre. You went down a flight of stairs to the club and Im fairly sure there was a cafe/restaurant on ground level. This was in the late 70's and I think the chef there used to work at the Intime Nightclub in the Merrion Centre. A guy called Dane Starkey used to dj at the club.Can anyone help? I think this club might have been called VALENTINO'S seems to fit discription down stairs from Bond street, just round the corner from Jacomellis - I think the two brothers had something to do with this too. My ex used to work behind the bar here in the late 70's early 80's

DOBBO

Post by DOBBO »

Anybody remember the name of the club within the club - upstairs in the old Mecca back in the sixties - I was a member but damned if I can remember what the name was.Also I can remember seeing The Who live at Leeds - not the famous concert but in 71 or 72 at the New Mecca of all places
All knowledge is important

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

DOBBO wrote: Anybody remember the name of the club within the club - upstairs in the old Mecca back in the sixties - I was a member but damned if I can remember what the name was.Also I can remember seeing The Who live at Leeds - not the famous concert but in 71 or 72 at the New Mecca of all places Tudor Club then Keyhole Club. Info herehttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceide ... SPLAY=FULL

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

DOBBO wrote: Anybody remember the name of the club within the club - upstairs in the old Mecca back in the sixties - I was a member but damned if I can remember what the name was.Also I can remember seeing The Who live at Leeds - not the famous concert but in 71 or 72 at the New Mecca of all places Is this the one ?http://www.thewholive.de/details/index. ... &StateID=0

DOBBO

Post by DOBBO »

Thanks Uncle Mick
All knowledge is important

Geneva

Post by Geneva »

Any memories of the Precinct Club?

whippetgirl

Post by whippetgirl »

Crazy Jane wrote: So no-one remembers the Old Bank? I remember the old bank Crazy Jane. I danced my self dizzy many a night upstairs and then had chicken in a basket downstairs. Quite a few rogues tried to chat me up in there but I was always a picky girl. Well, most of the time!!!
jjjjj

RayCooke

Post by RayCooke »

iansmithofotley wrote: Hi Chrism,In the 60's/70's, my favorite places were the Old Mecca in the Arcade, the New Mecca in the Merrion Centre, the Bali Hai in the Merrion Centre, Cinderella/Rockafellas near the Merrion Centre, Brannigan's in Call Lane and Hernando's above Mike Brash's cafe at the junction of Harehills Road and Roundhay Road.Ian. Hello Ian, I remember the Bali Hai well. A guy called Scotch Johhny (Johnny Wood) was the head doorman at the time and I finished up sharing a house with him in Spencer Place...Off Roundhay Rd somewhere if I remember it properly. I worked at The Tahiti Club & then the Bamboo Club on Harehills road (or Roundhay Rd..not sure now),,twas 45years ago LOL.
Ray Cooke

RayCooke

Post by RayCooke »

Geneva wrote: JEM wrote: I really hope someone can help me out. I have been trying so hard to remember the name of the nightclub that was owned by Paul and Costa - two greek brothers, in Leeds City Centre. You went down a flight of stairs to the club and Im fairly sure there was a cafe/restaurant on ground level. This was in the late 70's and I think the chef there used to work at the Intime Nightclub in the Merrion Centre. A guy called Dane Starkey used to dj at the club.Can anyone help? I think this club might have been called VALENTINO'S seems to fit discription down stairs from Bond street, just round the corner from Jacomellis - I think the two brothers had something to do with this too. My ex used to work behind the bar here in the late 70's early 80's I don't know for sure of the seventies but in the mid-60's it was The Embassy Club with The Chicken Inn upstairs..The names I remember was Gargas and Geeki who also had a restaurant iin the centre and also The Bamboo Club where I worked for a while. Geeki(guessing at the spelling) and I met up again in London many years later when he had a restaurant in Camden.
Ray Cooke

uk-ken

Post by uk-ken »

As a teenager in the 70's I used to either work in or frequent a number of night clubs in and around Leeds.The Carousel Bar in the Gaiety on Roundhay Road played rock'n'roll on Friday and Saturday nights. I worked there with Johny White, Johny Flanagan, Turkey and Wendel. I met a very special woman there but didn't realise it at the time!I used Foxes in Chapelallerton, The Compton, Rockies, the International, Martines, TC's, Scrumpies (the Central), Damiens which changed to Stallones. The Barcelona in Kirkstall was always good fun! Stoggies could be a good night out. Now what was that place called where Mary O'Rieley was on the door? Charlies Bar was a gay club near the Viaduct pub. Some great memories, and some not so good!