The Phono

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Lesley1000

Post by Lesley1000 »

LeeRatbag wrote: Chrism wrote: LeeRatbag wrote: dERvXeroX wrote: David Raven wrote: dERvXeroX wrote: Does anyone remember "Shane"? With the big fright wig? Yeah. He used to stand there, doing his makup and admiring himself in the many mirrors.I know you.Ill sort out a proper profile picture when I can be arsed. I remember Shane, he used to hang out at Rickys too. I was in a couple of bands with his mate Justin. Shane Templeman-King? I got locked up with him one night. They used to have a camera in the ladies loos in the Phono and all the Goth birds were complaining but the Twins wouldn't remove it, (Something to do with handbags being nicked), so Shane and I removed it. Totally forgetting it was connected to a recorder behind the bar! DOH!!! I also know Justin aswell (Jutters?) Yeah, Jutters. I played in Sticky Fingers and Assassination Bureau with him.I heard the tale about the camera years ago, fair play to you bud. It needed doing. i so remember shane looking at himself when he was dancing and being more bothered about how he looked and what everyone thought. his girlfriend was the same. he was always checking his eyeliner all the time! classic

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Lesley1000 wrote: dERvXeroX wrote: I vaguely remember before the early 90's refit, there was a kind of barrier in front of and away from the bar and most weeks there would be, leaning on it, Shane, Justin, Moss, Angel, Ill have to have a think, who else. I saw Justin a few years ago and he hasn't changed at all. I still see Angel, Mostly at Rock of Ages.What ever happened to Shane? i dont now how to reply on this stupid site I presume you feel managing the application is stupid rather than the site as such we are mostly proud of it!It does look as though you've now mastered which button to click on now so happy posting

Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

"i so remember shane looking at himself when he was dancing and being more bothered about how he looked and what everyone thought. his girlfriend was the same. he was always checking his eyeliner all the time! classic "You don't mean the wiggly man do you? He was tall and thin and somehow, extremely wiggly?
Evil and ambition scatter in the the darkness, leaving behind dubious rumors to fly in public. To the next world, I commit thee.

New Romantic

Post by New Romantic »

HiI was a student in Necastle University 1978 to 1982 but my widowed Mum lived in Leeds, where of course I hailed from as the daughter of my mother who is an immigrant Irish and a Lancashire father. I would come back to Leeds every weekend in 1980ish, in the clothes my friend designed for me that she also designed for Classix Nouveaux; remember them? I would proudly wear them at the Warehouse in Leeds. I would dance with Marc Almond regularly; we were kind of agreed dancing partners when we met. Then, he and David Ball (is that his name?), seemed suddenly to be on stage in the Warehouse and I felt quietly proud to have danced as Marc's partner so often and still do feel proud for those moments, which even then felt special.Plus, went to the Phono regularly and still daily remember those times; the 60's cross with the 80's coming new life was exemplified and played out there. The inner circular mirror always kept you on track and also the circular feel to the club gave you some privacy with friends etc; no one can see round circular corners!!.Great times that I can't believe are gone.
yesnoalways

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I remember the toilets 'backing up' one night.    

MWD

Post by MWD »

Chrism wrote: LeeRatbag wrote: Chrism wrote: LeeRatbag wrote: dERvXeroX wrote: David Raven wrote: dERvXeroX wrote: Does anyone remember "Shane"? With the big fright wig? Yeah. He used to stand there, doing his makup and admiring himself in the many mirrors.I know you.Ill sort out a proper profile picture when I can be arsed. I remember Shane, he used to hang out at Rickys too. I was in a couple of bands with his mate Justin. Shane Templeman-King? I got locked up with him one night. They used to have a camera in the ladies loos in the Phono and all the Goth birds were complaining but the Twins wouldn't remove it, (Something to do with handbags being nicked), so Shane and I removed it. Totally forgetting it was connected to a recorder behind the bar! DOH!!! I also know Justin aswell (Jutters?) Yeah, Jutters. I played in Sticky Fingers and Assassination Bureau with him.I heard the tale about the camera years ago, fair play to you bud. It needed doing. Here's a picture of Shane without his wig. It was at the other geezers wedding around '89/'90. The other geezer is called Adrian, I can't remember his surname. Unless he has a doppleganger with the same christian name, I believe that the bride groom's name is Adrian Sheran (although the spelling may be wrong).

45man

Post by 45man »

Went in the Phono a few times.I know the front entrance and stairs are long gone.Does anybody know where the fire escape exit led to,and is this still there.Is the club still intact below ground?.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

45man wrote: Went in the Phono a few times.I know the front entrance and stairs are long gone.Does anybody know where the fire escape exit led to,and is this still there.Is the club still intact below ground?. Its connected to the Kirkstall Abbey tunnel probaby!!
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

45man wrote: Went in the Phono a few times.I know the front entrance and stairs are long gone.Does anybody know where the fire escape exit led to,and is this still there.Is the club still intact below ground?. The fire escape, as far as I could tell, came out in the underpass under Wade Lane (which was decommissioned before the Phono closed) and you would come out of the doors near the Lebanese restaurant on the other side of Wade Lane.I worked on the demolition of one of the booths over the under pass and got to see the area under there though, sadly, it was in the days before camera phones.I think Phil D posted some pictures of the underpass somewhere on here but I'm not sure whether they included the door for the fire exit or not as it wasn't on there when I worked at the site.

dERvXeroX

Re:

Post by dERvXeroX »

BarFly wrote:
Wed 17 Apr, 2013 3:00 pm
45man wrote: Went in the Phono a few times.I know the front entrance and stairs are long gone.Does anybody know where the fire escape exit led to,and is this still there.Is the club still intact below ground?. The fire escape, as far as I could tell, came out in the underpass under Wade Lane (which was decommissioned before the Phono closed) and you would come out of the doors near the Lebanese restaurant on the other side of Wade Lane.I worked on the demolition of one of the booths over the under pass and got to see the area under there though, sadly, it was in the days before camera phones.I think Phil D posted some pictures of the underpass somewhere on here but I'm not sure whether they included the door for the fire exit or not as it wasn't on there when I worked at the site.
The fire doors lead to the service road/loading bay that goes underneath the Merrion.