THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 1)

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
wiggy

Post by wiggy »

fevlad wrote: rattles, rosettes, home maade scarves at rugby/soccer gamesThe Seacroft Hospital column in the Evening post on a staurdaybed number so and so very poorly ands so onyour shirt collar being black on the inside where it touched your neck at the end of the day     is my collar suposed to be clean then??
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

cig,chocolate and gum machines outside shops,washing across the street and 40 a side football games in the streets.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

ooh ooh! coppers on the beat! and the school board man

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

wiggy wrote: WHEN THE WATER BOARD USED TO OPEN STOP VALVES IN THE STREET,THEN TELL YOU TO GO AWAY WHEN YOU DANCED IN IT....ice on the inside of windows,chimney fires and my grandads army trench coat on the bed in the winter. Chimney Sweeps - always new how many rods it took before telling you it was time to go look for the brush coming out of the chimney!And the coal man - no groans about manual handling from him trudging up and down the garden path with a cwt (that's about 50kilos for the young'ens) sack of the black stuff on his shoulder.Not to mention the gas man resting his ladder against that sticky-out-bit at the top of the lamp post whilst he climbed up to wind the timer and check the gas mantle.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

chameleon wrote: wiggy wrote: WHEN THE WATER BOARD USED TO OPEN STOP VALVES IN THE STREET,THEN TELL YOU TO GO AWAY WHEN YOU DANCED IN IT....ice on the inside of windows,chimney fires and my grandads army trench coat on the bed in the winter. Chimney Sweeps - always new how many rods it took before telling you it was time to go look for the brush coming out of the chimney!And the coal man - no groans about manual handling from him trudging up and down the garden path with a cwt (that's about 50kilos for the young'ens) sack of the black stuff on his shoulder.Not to mention the gas man resting his ladder against that sticky-out-bit at the top of the lamp post whilst he climbed up to wind the timer and check the gas mantle. where did they all go? all those jobs.....gone!

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

The canal freezing about 9" thick, thick enough to skate on. Sledging down Gotts park golf course.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Chrism wrote: The canal freezing about 9" thick, thick enough to skate on. Sledging down Gotts park golf course. 'SNOW'

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

old miners coughing thewir lungs up hardly able to get to the end of the street and dying before their time
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

kids giving out food parcels to the elderly,after a school harvest festival.

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

the green final on a Saturday eveningwomen dressed up to the nines to go to the super marketstriped university scarves
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees