Farsley plane crash

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Bracken

Farsley plane crash

Post by Bracken »

Hello,
Has anyone heard of a German plane that crashed in Farsley during the second world war ?
I heard it had been hit over Middleton and glided from there and crashed near Dawson's Corner.
Any information of when this happened and the type of aircraft please.

jim

Re: Farsley plane crash

Post by jim »

Nearest I can find crashed on High Street Idle on May 5th 1941, after the crew bailed out. One crew member landed in Farnley, one in Guiseley, one not recorded, and the pilot within half a mile of the crash. Plane was Junkers 88A-5. Route of disabled plane would probably have passed over Farsley according to crew parachute landings. I didn't know of this event prior to searching for info - but at the time I was 39 days old, and living a mile and a quarter to the West of the crash site. This, and the proximity of an Anti-Aircraft gunnery site approx half a mile away may have influenced my parent's decision to move to Ben Rhydding during the following 12 months. Info taken from Telegraph and Argus item "Going Back: The Night A German Plane Crashed On Idle" (16 May, 2021).
Admittedly this did not crash on Farsley, but stories have a habit of alteration over several generations of telling.
Last edited by jim on Wed 28 Jun, 2023 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Yorkshire Post 21st July 1944
Plane crash at Dawsons's Corner but no German involvement
Plane Crash.png
Plane Crash.png (69.7 KiB) Viewed 6283 times

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

The T&A printed a picture of the downed Junkers 88 but no story
Attachments
T&A Front Page 6-5-41.jpg
T&A Front Page 6-5-41.jpg (202.93 KiB) Viewed 6279 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?