Doris Irene Wilson

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Peterwilson35

Doris Irene Wilson

Post by Peterwilson35 »

Doris Irene Wilson is my mother who I believe came to live in Leeds in the 1930’s, I am trying to fill in the gaps I have of what and where she was then.I know during that period she resided with a lady called Ada Woods of Lipton Avenue, worked at Collison’s Cafe,had great friends in Jack & Mabel Wright,she married my father ( Percy Raymond Wilson) in the early 1940’s and went th live in Methley Terrace.
Peter wilson

blackprince

Re: Doris Irene Wilson

Post by blackprince »

Do you mean Lupton Avenue?
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

dogduke

Re: Doris Irene Wilson

Post by dogduke »

Hello Peter,
The era is probably outside most members memory scope but here are some suggestions.
Leodis.net and streetview using the street names in the search can give an idea past and present of the housing.
Much of the housing on Lupton Avenue remains.
The Methleys are also on streetview.
As for Collinsons cafe,again using Leodis.net there are quite a few photos which people can comment on.
It seems to have been one of the better places to eat,it would seem the bandmaster from the Titanic had worked there.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.