Cluderay family of Leeds

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Daniel100

Cluderay family of Leeds

Post by Daniel100 »

I am looking for anyone who may recall/have information on the Cluderays of Leeds.
I am descended from William Albert Cluderay (1870-1949), who mostly lived in Holbeck. He played cricket for Kirkstall Forge I believe, and he was known by his middle name, Albert.
Albert married Annie Elizabeth Rusby (1871-1937) in 1895, she was also from Holbeck, the daughter of Jonas Rusby (1850-1931) and Mary Ann Rhodes (1852-1922).
Albert and Annie had three kids, Horace (1897-1971), William Evelyn (1902-1915) and Lawrence (1907-1992).
Horace immigrated to Canada with his wife and son in 1924. Lawrence and his family (including his father, Albert) followed in 1947.

Albert was the son of William Cluderay (1841-1914) and Sarah Hannah Fish (1846-1874).
Albert had 4 siblings, Walter Henry (1865-1932), Emily Anne (1867-1943), Florence Ellen (1869-1869) and Charles Ernest (1873-1938).

I know that we have many distant relatives still living in the Leeds area today.

I do hope this is enough info to go on. What I'm looking for mostly is anyone who may know the Cluderay/Rusby family.

Thank you.

Daniel

tilly

Re: Cluderay family of Leeds

Post by tilly »

Welcome to S/L Daniel100 I hope you have some luck with your quest.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

DynamiteDaz

Post by DynamiteDaz »

Just searched facebook for Cluderay 'near me' and turns out my Dad is friends with a lady with the surname Cluderay. I'll ask him in the morning if he knows the family and any details he can possibly share.

He's from Osmandthorpe which isnt all that far from Holbeck (about an hours walk, or 15 mins in the car?)

DynamiteDaz

Post by DynamiteDaz »

Apologies, It was late last night so I didnt put the dots together myself.

The lady on my Dads Facebook was my Dads ex-wife, lovely woman who has sadly since passed. She married into the Cluderay family after her and my Dad split. He confirmed the male Cluderay was from Leeds but that they moved to Chesterfield. I believe the male Cluderay pre-deceased her.

He doesn't have any other information on the family i'm afraid

Daniel100

Post by Daniel100 »

I see, that's interesting. Do you know Mrs Cluderays first name? She is likely a relative of some sort. Coming from my own dad, and from my experience, Cluderay is a rather rare name, meaning most, if not all of us are related.
Fun fact, I am one of about 5 Cluderays in Scotland!

jma

Post by jma »

I've refrained from posting so far, mainly because I've no positive information and I've been waiting to see what others had to say.

My starting point would be that while the name is not so common as Smith or Jones, it's not particularly rare. The people 192 directory lists a couple of hundred, although some of those will be the same people from different sources.

https://www.192.com/atoz/people/cluderay/

I only remember meeting one: Inspector Des(mond?) Cluderay who was responsible for police buildings in Leeds in the late 1960s. When you are only 22, somebody 32 might as well be 102 but I see a Desmond Cluderay is listed at number 196 in that directory as being on the 2002 electoral role.

I've a vague memory that a somewhat younger Cluderay was on the staff of Leeds Magistrates' Clerk's Office.

Otherwise, only a couple of days before I saw your request for information, I read some comments about somebody called Cluderay in the "Pot Luck" section of the Leodis archive. The random selection of images changes frequently and I don't know how to search the comments. Perhaps somebody else on S/L can help with that

https://www.leodis.net/Potluck?page=1

Daniel100

Post by Daniel100 »

Hm, I see. I believe I know Des Cluderay. His wife (or perhaps sister-in-law, I cant remember) had letters with my Grandfathers cousin, looking into the Cluderay surname. If it is the same Des, I believe he has since passed on. Thanks for your input, however.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Mick (jma) - I can add a bit more about Des Cluderay:

Retired Police Inspector Desmond James Cluderay (B. 28/1/1926) died on 28th November 2001 aged 75 years. He was born at Beeston, Leeds, and was buried at All Saints Churchyard, Barwick in Elmet.

His father was Charles Cluderay (B. 1891, D. 1964) and his mother was Christina Cluderay (Ne Dunne - B. 1891, D. 1973). He married Margaret E Wellburn (B. 1925, D. 1921) in July 1947 at Leeds.

Ancestry Family Trees show that Desmond had several brothers - Patrick Cluderay (B. 1917, D. 1991), John Francis Cluderay (B. 1919, D. 1991), Anthony K Cluderay (B. 1923, D. 1989), Peter Joseph Cluderay (B. 1928, D. 1946), and possibly some more siblings. (I have not researched each person specifically, myself, at this stage, and sometimes Family Trees contain mistakes).

Desmond and Margaret had four children - Peter, Moira, James and Mark. Margaret was known as ‘Peggy’ and she died at Ripon on 23rd April 2021 aged 95 yrs. Her funeral was at Harrogate. In the early 1960’s the couple lived in the Holbeck/Beeston area. Later, they moved to the Manston area and then to Barwick in Elmet.

I remember Desmond in the 1960s when he worked at Brotherton House Police Headquarters. He retired from the force in 1972.

Daniel100

Post by Daniel100 »

Thank you! Most of this info I had from handwritten trees, but there were some bits and bobs here that I don't have. I appreciate the help! Margaret (Peggy) was the woman my Grandfathers cousin had wrote back and forth to.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Late to the party and like JMA there isn't much I can add other than knowledge of a Cluderay. My late mother's best school friend married a Brian Cluderay. This would have been around the turn of the fifties into the sixties so presumably Brian was born mid-late thirties or possibly into the early forties. The marriage didn't last and the schoolfriend emigrated to the USA in the mid sixties. I know nothing of Brian but I do know that my mother and the friend were brought up in and around the Dewsbury Road area so Beeston bordering on Hunslet with southeastern Holbeck only about a mile away.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/