Brown's Yard, Hunslet

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Looby15

Brown's Yard, Hunslet

Post by Looby15 »

Hi I am searching for a location for Brown's Yard in Hunslet. I have seen a photograph of it in 1929, on Leodis.net and heard of people talking about Brown's Place or Street but these still don't give an indication of where it is. Which street is it off? anybody know?
I have a relative placed here in 1865. I am really struggling with his relative, they are a mystery before they appear in the 1861 Census in Manchester but their birth is listed as Hunslet and their father a farmer (in Hunslet?) but the father's name does not correlate to any person with a son of his name around 1840 nor can I find him or the family before 1861. The only link I have is that he returns to Hunslet with is family for a visit in 1865 (presumably to visit relatives) when his son (3rd child) is born at 14 Brown's Yard.
So frustrated!!
Thanks for any assistance you can give me.
Looby15

uncle mick

Re: Brown's Yard, Hunslet

Post by uncle mick »

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Last edited by uncle mick on Sun 21 Jun, 2015 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Looby15

Post by Looby15 »

Hi Thanks for the map, bizarrely the main rd it connects to is not named in the plan, would it be Hunslet Rd?

First time I've placed it! brilliant thanks, just need to find somewhere with a list of residents now!!

Looby15

rikj

Post by rikj »

It's at about the point where Hunslet Road turns into Low Road. Leodis refers to the junction of Brown's Yard and Low Road so I would go with that.

tilly

Post by tilly »

uncle mick your a star its not the first i have said this and i dont think it will be the last well done.Its members like you that make the site what it is.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Looby15

Post by Looby15 »

Thanks for the pointer Rijk. Do you know what was built in the space, once Browns Yard and Place were demolished?

I used to live in Leeds 20years ago, probably looks very different now!! Bizarre to find that now I'm researching family history I find both sides of the same line came from Leeds - it was in my blood all the time!!

Looby15

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

Brown's Yard was demolished in the 1930s. Leodis has this photo in Jan 1939 when it was being prepared for demolition:
"Derelict" is a word to treat with care as Leeds council always had a policy of clearing whole streets when some of the houses just needed a bit of repairing.

Old Maps shows a nursery on the site in the 1950s. The nursery was a prefab and became City Tool Repairs by the 70s:

There's an undated photo of it being demolished here, but the red colour of the bus stop dates it to some time after 1986 when Metro changed their corporate colours:

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

The 1861 census lists Brown's Yard's inhabitants as :

no 3 Samuel, Elizabeth & Edward Haddington
no 5 Martha Rhodes (I think it must be Rhodes) & Elizabeth Nicolson (widows)
no 7 Jonathon, Martha, Jane, Rachel, Ann & Walter Lindley
no 9 Mary Robinson
no 11. Christopher & Mary Kidd
no 13. Henry, Elizabeth, James & Alfred Taylor
no 15 George, Marym Harriot & Maria Dennis
no 17 John & Sarah Pearson
no 18 William Ingham
no 16 --
no 14 Joseph, Henrietta, Fred & Louisa Whitehead]
no 12. William & Caroline Geldard (or Goldard)
no 10 Edward, Mary & Alfred Saville
no 8 Anne & Benjamin Mattison
no 6 Elizabeth, Esther, Jane & Christopher Jameson
no 4 John, Isabella & William Bewlay & Fanny Wrigh

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

mhoulden wrote: There's an undated photo of it being demolished here, but the red colour of the bus stop dates it to some time after 1986 when Metro changed their corporate colours:
Skelton Grange in the background also gives a latest date although my Google search has dates for demolition between 1990 and people still working there to 1995
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/