Conjoined Twins - Glossop

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
stormin

Conjoined Twins - Glossop

Post by stormin »

I don't know where I'm going with this but I thought it might be an interesting topic?

During my family history research I came across twins that were born at the same time and died at the same time 18 months afterwards. My first thought is that they must have been conjoined twins that died whilst trying to separate them.

Has anyone any information, or any guidance on how I can continue:

Leah & Gertrude Glossop born 1891 (3 months old in 1891 census) and buried at Burmantofts cemetery 13th October 1892 - grave 11402.

Their father was Hewson Glossop and mother Martha Glossop (nee Marsh).

Maybe there is a mention in a newspaper for the Burmantofts area?

Any help or information would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Stormin

iansmithofotley

Re: Conjoined Twins - Glossop

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi stormin,

I have done some research on Ancestry but I have not get much further than you have.

Apart from your ‘conjoined twins theory’ the other things that crossed my mind were an accident (such as a fire or traffic accident) or homicide. In the 1891 Census, other siblings such as Jane Elizabeth, Eva, John Edward, Ada and Lily are shown along with Leah and Gertrude. The family lived at 4 Heed Terrace.

Jane Elizabeth (M. Straiton) died in 1940. Eva died in 1895. John Edward died in 1959. Ada (M. Smithies) died in 1959. I struggled with Lily for a marriage or death, but she is shown in the 1901 and 1911 Censuses.

So it looks as though the only two children that died in 1892 were Leah and Gertrude, who, I presumed (see later**), were the youngest and last of the children. I suppose that there could possibly have been a fire at their address at 4 Heed Terrace (bottom of York Road area) and everyone got out but the two babies. If it was a homicide then it begs the question ‘why were the two youngest children killed and nobody else and who by?’.

If the deaths were due to illness, then it is most unlikely that the babies died on the same day.

Looking at the censuses, in 1891, the whole family were together at 4 Heed Terrace. In the 1901 census the family appears to have split up. Martha was a ‘visitor’ at 17 Oak Street (York Road area) with a family called Battersby. Hewson, John Edward, Ada and Lily were living at 5 Gideon Street (Marsh Lane area).

In the 1911 census, Hewson was living with John Edward, Ada and Lily at 12 William Street (Marsh Lane area) and there are no entries for Martha, anywhere. She did not die until 1942 so where was she after 1901, as it seems that she was not with her family? She also does not appear to have re-married.

Your ‘conjoined twins’ theory might be correct but if, for example, Martha had killed the two babies, she might have been imprisoned for manslaughter. (The children were too old for an infanticide verdict (aged less than 12 months is a necessity) and a murder conviction would have meant ‘life imprisonment’ but however long she might have served for murder, in those days she would still have been in prison in 1901, so it brings it back to manslaughter if it was a case of homicide).

One thing that I did find out was that Hewson and Martha had another child** after Leah and Gertrude. He was called Herbert Glossop and was baptised on 19th October 1892. I also found his birth records but could not find a marriage or death for him. Also, he does not appear in the 1901 or 1911 censuses. All this is strange.

It is a coincidence that he was born at about the same time that the twins died. If Martha was involved in the deaths of the twins then she would have been pregnant or had just given birth to Herbert. In either case, the balance of her mind may have been disturbed (as in infanticide) but, again, this is all speculation.

Another thing that I found was that in Ancestry, all of the families tracing the Glossop family have missed the birth of Herbert (many people just copy family trees that are already there as you often see the same mistakes). Nobody noticed this birth. This includes the trees of Turner-Mulvihill, Griffiths-Shanley, Lacey, Cathy Spencer and Jackson.

I can’t think of anything else that you can do to find out what you want other than to check the archives of the Yorkshire Evening Post (founded in 1890), the Yorkshire Post – formerly Leeds Intelligencer (founded in 1754) plus, as you have said, other local newspapers, if there were any.

I hope that this helps.

Ian

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

You could order the death certificates from the GRO and they would give the cause of death.
Certificates cost £9.25 each

Hope this helps
:arrow:
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

stormin

Post by stormin »

Hi Ian & buffaloskinner,
Thank you both for your replies.
buffaloskinner - I have ordered the death certs and will post results when I get them.

Ian, so much research in such a short time?
You are right, I missed Herbert but I too don't follow the family trees - I don't even update my own (Lamb) tree anymore.
I like your idea of manslaughter. Maybe they were ill and mother decided to put them out of their misery. Did you notice that Jane E was recorded as adopted in 1901 census? Not enough house room?
This is a strange family, as you say. Martha married Hewson in 1869 and as Martha was born in 1855 she can only have been around 14 years of age. Their first child (I think) Henrietta is in the 1871 census but died in 1875.
It looks like I might have to visit Leeds at some point to check the newspapers, but I will wait for the death certs first.
Thank you both again for your prompt replies.
Stormin

stormin

Post by stormin »

As an aside,

After looking again at Henrietta Glossop I noticed that another child was baptized at the same time (11th December 1872) - Mary Ann. She died and was buried 12th August 1873 (13 months) with the family living at Grove Street. Henrietta was at Grove Street when buried 7th November 1875 (4 years old)

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

I have looked at the Leeds Mercury for October/November 1982 for you with no joy I'm afraid

stormin

Post by stormin »

buffaloskinner wrote:I have looked at the Leeds Mercury for October/November 1982 for you with no joy I'm afraid
That's a shame, its probably quite innocent why it happened the way it did.

Thanks very much.

Stormin

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Whoops I meant of course 1892 not 1982

stormin

Post by stormin »

buffaloskinner wrote:Whoops I meant of course 1892 not 1982
I knew that :D

stormin

Post by stormin »

To update those who were involved with the messages in this thread:

I have now received the death certificates for Leah & Gertrude Glossop and the cause of death for both girls was 'Tabes Mesenterica Marasmus'. Leah died on 9th October 1892 and Gertrude on 11th October 1892. A quick google search reveals that this was a type of TB usually associated with the stomach and generally caused by malnutrition.
Thanks again