Bloomfield and Leeds railways

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
harrym1byt

Bloomfield and Leeds railways

Post by harrym1byt »

Hi All,

I have been doing a bit of family tree research and its looking like we arrived in Leeds between 1860 to 1900, either in mass or a trickle. It seems there were engine drivers, train guards, plate layers and engineers in the family, based around Holbeck and Copley HIll engine sheds. Having moved up from the Norfolk / Suffolk border. Details are scant, but the migration would seem to have involved my paternal great grandfather and his father, plus their families. I was completely unaware of any of this, just a couple of weeks ago, but I would be grateful for any memories.

On a similar theme - On Domestic Street Holbeck there was a small shoe repairing business, the opposite side of the road to where Salford Van Hire were. Where the shoe repair had been, later became a Renault dealership. The guy who repaired shoes in the 1950's was called Bert, whom I think might have been a Bertie Dawson, had a short leg and wore a special boot. Can anyone spread any light on his full name please - he may have been related to me.

Parts of the tree trace back to early 1500.

liits

Re: Bloomfield and Leeds railways

Post by liits »

In the 1947 Kelly's Directory;

Domestic Street
15A Bloomfield A - Boot & Shoe Rep.
Residence 11 Willoughby Cres. Lds.11

If I've got the right person;
Born in the last quarter of 1901 [so he doesn't appear in the 1901 census] the seventh of eight children born to Thomas Bloomfield [a self employed bricklayer b.1864 Occold, Suffolk] & Sarah nee Reddrop b.1863 Carnarvon.
This chap shows up in the 1911 census with his parents and siblings - although his yonger brother had died [sometime between 1904 and 1911].
He marries in 1924 to Gladys Araven.
Died 1966 Wakefield.
Last edited by liits on Tue 24 Mar, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

There's a photo of Willoughby Crescent on Leodis here. It only goes up to no. 9 but it gives you an idea of what it looked like when he lived there.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

:arrow:
Map of Willoughby Crescent in relation to bottom of Domestic Street

:arrow:
Attachments
Domestic Street 1900-1932.JPG
Domestic Street 1900-1932.JPG (969.66 KiB) Viewed 3165 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

liits wrote:In the 1947 Kelly's Directory;

Domestic Street
15A Bloomfield A - Boot & Shoe Rep.
Residence 11 Willoughby Cres. Lds.11
I only knew him as Bert and there is a Bertie Dawson who married an aunt Nellie 1891-1979. I was assuming the 'Bert' must have been Bertie Dawson 1886-1969. The A would suggest Albert, with the short form Bert. The A of 15A would seem to be likely correct, it was a wooden structure likely not part of the original numbering system of Domestic St., but the 15 would seem to be wrong. Number 15 on Google is in the wrong place, on the hill, rather than on the level part between the roundabout and Wortley Lane. Basically opposite Salford Van Hire on Google streets. I wonder if they might have renumbered Domestic street at some stage?

[EDIT] I think Wortley Lane should have read as Holbeck Lane, where there used to be a Post Office.
liits wrote: If I've got the right person;
Born in the last quarter of 1901 [so he doesn't appear in the 1901 census] the seventh of eight children born to Thomas Bloomfield [a self employed bricklayer b.1864 Occold, Suffolk] & Sarah nee Reddrop b.1863 Carnarvon.
This chap shows up in the 1911 census with his parents and siblings - although his yonger brother had died [sometime between 1904 and 1911].
He marries in 1924 to Gladys Araven.
Died 1966 Wakefield.
None of the above would seem to fit at all, so perhaps a completely different family in the same area, but with the same surname.

I remember having to call him 'uncle Bert', but there was no Bert, Albert or similar which I could find apart from the Albert Dawson above.

My father Henry was born Dec 1911 in Holbeck (he missed the 1911 census); his father James 1871 - 1955; his father Thomas B-1808. The later two born Yaxley Suffolk. Yaxley had a rail station not far away, making the move relatively easy.

The listed offspring of James, match the name of what I remember to be uncles and aunts. In particular the date of death and address of an uncle Harold, so I must be on the right family.

Both James and family and Thomas and family moved up here, it seems to work on the rapidly developing railways. I have a photo supposedly of one of Thomas's son's - Jonathan, as an engine driver stood in front of his engine sometime around 1910 to 1920.

Thanks for you efforts, I think I need to do some more thinking...