UD

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
cattycarol

UD

Post by cattycarol »

hi
i am doing my family tree and i have a birth certificate that says born in maternity hospital UD
can anyone tell me what the UD stands for, it was around 1916
also does anyone know which area of leedsi would look in at the library in the electrol books for 1940ish for AShley Street, it was in HUnslet but I couldn't find it last time i was there as i can't find district, thanks :
c.ely

rikj

Re: UD

Post by rikj »

Urban District possibly?

liits

Post by liits »

Its off Pearson Street in Hunslet.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi UD has lilts says Ashley Street was off Pearson Street it is no longer there.The best way to park to get to Pearson Street is to park up in Crown Point Shopping Center walk up to Mother care pass it on the left hand side follow the road to the exit turn right onto Butterly Street.When you come to the junction with Leathley Road turn right Pearson Street is about one hundred yards on your left,It sounds a long way but it is only a five minutes walk.the reason i said park at Crown Point is if you go on a week day you will be lucky to get a place to park on Pearson Street has all the road is full of cars belonging to people who work in the area.Ashley Street was on you right about where the gates are to get into the works yard
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

liits

Post by liits »

Somebody else had asked the same question on a Genes Reunited forum and got the same answer as rikj gave.....
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/b ... ead/791862
Last edited by liits on Sun 22 Mar, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scrabblerz

Post by scrabblerz »

Some Hunslet streets are in South Electoral area if not South East should find them .

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Didn't you live on Ashley Street Tilly?

Here are maps of Ashley Street 1907 and 2015

:arrow:
Attachments
Ashley Street 1907.JPG
Ashley Street 1907.JPG (126.54 KiB) Viewed 3950 times
Ashley Street 2015.JPG
Ashley Street 2015.JPG (84.74 KiB) Viewed 3950 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi buffolskinner yes i did live in Ashley Street you would not think there were houses there when you look at the place now.That goes for many places in Leeds it has changed so much over the years not always for the better i am sorry to say or is it my rose tinted glasses.?

cattycarol

Post by cattycarol »

my grandma used to live in ashley st. in about 1950ish, she used to look after me at her house, but i can't remember what number it was, it was towards the top of the street. i remember the shop at the bottom of the street and a pub where my granny used to take a jug to get it filled with beer at the side entrance. does anyone know what the pub was called.
c.ely

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi cattycarol The pub was called The Union Inn i lived at the top of the street i might have known your gran.I left in 1958 due to slum clearance then lived in Saxton Gardens. :)