Locating Wilkinson Street....

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
gipton-galloper

Locating Wilkinson Street....

Post by gipton-galloper »

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me... I'm trying to locate 19 Whilkinson/Wilkinson Street in Leeds, as mentioned in the 1911 census. This was the home of my great-grandmother - Kate Shearey and great-grandfather John Shearey and their 5 children (including Lily who was my Nana, and Sarah-Anne a dear great-aunt) as well as 3 other family members. I know that it's in the Mabgate area as my Nana mentioned that their house was near Black 'Oss Hill, and she was also married at St Patricks, but on the census Green Road is also mentioned which I believe is in the same area. The street name varies due to the census and rent book differing so I'm struggling, but then again, if you try and locate the family name of Shearey - it goes off in all tangents.. John Shearey worked at Hope Foundry, and sadly he died from an injury there (slipping and hitting his head) which left Kate a widow with 9 children and 3 extra family members to take care of. I can pretty much find every other street they lived in - 9 Upper Bevalier st (district 31) from 1901 and prior to that 12 Cannon St (DIstrict 16) 1891, 9 Vandyke St (district 18) 1881 and Busfield St (DIstrict 21) 1871 following Kate Sheareys line - and Leodis has photos for them all - except for Wilkinson Street. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful...thanks

chemimike

Re: Locating Wilkinson Street....

Post by chemimike »

Map below shows Wilkinson st in around 1908, marked in red. Cannot help as to which was no 19, as it is not clear whether numbering was consecutive or odd one side, even the other

gipton-galloper

Re: Locating Wilkinson Street....

Post by gipton-galloper »

Thank-you chemimike. I remember Macaulay St being mentioned in conversation also and I knew it was round there somewhere. Should have researched post 1911 as by 1938 Kate Shearey lived at Oak Tree Cres in Gipton, and Lily (now Hardwick) was living at Amberton Road - this being when my mum was born. Interesting how for years they lived around a specific area, then moved out. Not necessarily that far away,but I suppose if these were classed as poorer dwellings you'd move if you could. Not sure when these were demolished in Mabgate - similar time to St Mary's possibly...