True Identity of a fallen soldier in the Great War Part - 10

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Si

Post by Si »

cnosni wrote: Would it be appropriate to start putting it on SL a bit at a time? Yes please from me too.

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

.......and me.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Many thanks for the compliments.Ill do it a bit at a time as i am putting together a piece for the Dukes Archives so i will post a piece as i get to the end of a chapter so to speak.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

cnosni wrote: Many thanks for the compliments.Ill do it a bit at a time as i am putting together a piece for the Dukes Archives so i will post a piece as i get to the end of a chapter so to speak. Big tick from me.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

jim wrote: I perceive SL as a research site as opposed to the majority of (supposedly) similar sites which are basically picture galleries. I can't think of anything here recently with the sheer quantity and quality of serious research you have put into your project, and I am sure most of us would like to see more.     Hi jim.The implication that I get from your post (and subsequently supported by others) seems to be that SL should be a research site. Such a thread as cnosni's is superb research and one that I look forward to reading more. However, if SL was to become a research only site then I fear it would be a very dry site. What defines as research? Should it only be serious research? Would for example the query of mine in a Ralph Thoresby thread about the Stadtfolds name be classed as research (so welcome) or not (so unwelcome)?As to pictures, I am aware that I may perhaps post too many but (along with those posted by others) I do think that photos make the SL site more friendly. I hope you are not suggesting that photos should not be allowed in routine (i.e. non-research) posts.I appreciate that I may be inferring more into your post that you meant, so I hope you do not mind me just wondering.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Leodian.I think you are one of SL's best researchers especially with the pictures
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

jim

Post by jim »

Sorry if I gave the impression that I thought that SL should be solely a research site Leodian, or that it should not show pictures. I was trying to say what I felt was special about the site, what differentiates it from the others. As a frequent poster of silly comments I had hoped I would not be bracketed with those who can only see one direction/course for SL, or to constrain what appears! All inputs should be welcome of course as long as they do not break the site code of content, and pictures are an important part of firming up research and question answering.Hope that reassures you as to my views and intent.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

tyke bhoy wrote: Leodian.I think you are one of SL's best researchers especially with the pictures Cheers tyke bhoy.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

jim wrote: Sorry if I gave the impression that I thought that SL should be solely a research site Leodian, or that it should not show pictures. I was trying to say what I felt was special about the site, what differentiates it from the others. As a frequent poster of silly comments I had hoped I would not be bracketed with those who can only see one direction/course for SL, or to constrain what appears! All inputs should be welcome of course as long as they do not break the site code of content, and pictures are an important part of firming up research and question answering.Hope that reassures you as to my views and intent. I was just unsure jim as to what you may have been implying, so thanks for your response in which you did not take offence to my querying. It's nice to see the friendliness of SL still continuing. Talking of photos I was the centre of Leeds today so while there I went to the roundabout at the bottom of Eastgate to use that as a vantage point to take some photos of the Aaron statue with the soon to be demolished Millgarth Police Station behind (and some just of Millgarth). I then realised that I've likely never taken any photos before of the statue nor even been right next to it!

tilly

Post by tilly »

Re Jim and Leodians comments this is a prime example of how to ask about something in a post that you are not sure about.There was no jumping in with both eyes closed guns drawn at the ready just a simple question from Leodeion a reassurance from Jim all sorted.Well done you two i have gone over Jims post and also Leodians reply i can see how easy it is to get the wrong idea but handled in this way it was soon sorted.With no one taking there ball home.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.