True Identity of a fallen soldier in the Great War Part - 10

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Si wrote: cnosni wrote: Si wrote: Fantastic piece of work, Chris. Your uncle will be proud of you! Thanks SiWhere have you been, havent heard from you in a while.Your grandad great grandad? was in the Dukes at that time as well wasnt he?     Hi Chris. Been busy climbing the greasy pole at work. Haven't posted much, but have been lurking. Saw you on the telly and thought, "better have a look at SL!"Great grandad Billy Shires was in the Dukes, and great grandad Fred Glendenning was in the West Yorks. Strangely, his name is mis-spelled in the records (and on the rim of his medal) as "Glendinning" but is spelled correctly on other contemporary stuff. Both survived the War.Incidentally, noticed a telly ad for a financial company called Wellesley the other day. Their logo is the Dukes cap badge (crown, lion rampant, pennant of St George.) As you know, Wellesley was the family name of the Duke of Wellington - is the cap badge derived from his coat of arms, hence the logo being the same?      Hi SiThere are elements and the motto of The Duke of Wellington's Coat of Arms in the Dukes cap badge but it looks quite different overall.
Attachments
Duke of wellingtons Coat of Arms.JPG
Duke of wellingtons Coat of Arms.JPG (0 Bytes) Viewed 3178 times
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Tasa wrote: Hi Chris, what a fantastic result! Thanks for posting the link to the news story as I've only just got back on the internet after over a week because of PC problems, so I missed it when it was shown on the news as I couldn't follow your threads (I have read back now). Well done for persevering where a lot of people would have given up in frustration, and for sharing your experience on SL - it made fascinating reading! Ta chuck.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Chris, that is remarkable. You've done a fantastic job with this and it's great to read that something positive comes out of something so sad.

Si

Post by Si »

Here's the Wellesley logo...
Attachments
wellesley-finance-plc.png
wellesley-finance-plc.png (8 KiB) Viewed 3178 times

Si

Post by Si »

...and the Dukes cap badge.
Attachments
dukes cap badge.jpg
dukes cap badge.jpg (15.42 KiB) Viewed 3178 times

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Si wrote: ...and the Dukes cap badge. Defo based on cap badge rather than coat of arms, though obviously the badge has taken elements from the coat of arms and adjusted them slightly.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

LS1 wrote: Chris, that is remarkable. You've done a fantastic job with this and it's great to read that something positive comes out of something so sad. Cheers Lee.That was what struck me when i got the answer from the CWGC in April, it was a momnet of elaation that was followed by quiet reflection taht this was just a lad who died as a a veteran at the age of 20.If anyone is interested i have been doing a piece on his life based around the records i have unearthed and also from what we know about his life in the army from the Dukes archives, which is quite interesting.Would it be appropriate to start putting it on SL a bit at a time?

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

If anyone is interested i have been doing a piece on his life based around the records i have unearthed and also from what we know about his life in the army from the Dukes archives, which is quite interesting.Would it be appropriate to start putting it on SL a bit at a time?Absolutely.

jim

Post by jim »

I perceive SL as a research site as opposed to the majority of (supposedly) similar sites which are basically picture galleries. I can't think of anything here recently with the sheer quantity and quality of serious research you have put into your project, and I am sure most of us would like to see more.    

tilly

Post by tilly »

jim wrote: I perceive SL as a research site as opposed to the majority of (supposedly) similar sites which are basically picture galleries. I can't think of anything here recently with the sheer quantity and quality of serious research you have put into your project, and I am sure most of us would like to see more.     I second that Jim.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.