True Identity of a fallen soldier in the Great War Part - 10

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Croggy1
Site Admin

Post by Croggy1 »

Lilysmum wrote: I have followed your story with great interest and just seen the news report. Just wanted to say very well done with all your dogged research, it's admirable. I'm sure your gt gt uncle would be very proud of the time and effort on your part to put things right for him. Same goes for me too. Saw the story on the news today. Well done, Chris.

PC - Dublin

Post by PC - Dublin »

Congratulations on such marvellous work Chris. On behalf of everyone here, you are a credit to your family for not letting go on this one and thank you for giving us an insight via SL into your quest.RegardsPat

kango

Post by kango »

An excellent conclusion to a Stirling piece of research Chris and to think you were hesitant until prodded to put this on the forum!Judging by the positive response this thread has received I think it's safe to say that when correctly used in context , the human story is just as relevant as hard facts and can as in this case breath life into the concrete and clay of our wonderful city and give a much more rounded picture for future historians.Well done Chris on setting the record straight and a toast to your great uncle who i'm sure would be proud of you.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Morning everyone.Thanks for all the lovely comments, i am very touched and now you can all see what you have been dealing with all these years!!Here is a piece i was asked to write for the ITV website about the day, it also has a copy of the news piece for anyone that missed ithttp://www.itv.com/news/2014-08-01/ww1-a-long- ... from/Note- the picture descriptions have got teh wrong surname of Hoonan underneath them, just goes to show....    
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Si

Post by Si »

Fantastic piece of work, Chris. Your uncle will be proud of you!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Si wrote: Fantastic piece of work, Chris. Your uncle will be proud of you! Thanks SiWhere have you been, havent heard from you in a while.Your grandad great grandad? was in the Dukes at that time as well wasnt he?    
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

This is what real Secret Leeds secrets are all about - rather like old times    I suspect that if you and Mrs C every got your heads together I really would be a genealogy windower with a vengeance

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

chameleon wrote: This is what real Secret Leeds secrets are all about - rather like old times    I suspect that if you and Mrs C every got your heads together I really would be a genealogy windower with a vengeance Yes i bet you would, its addictive you know.Dont forget the Lights Out Commemoration tonight from 10 til 11

Si

Post by Si »

cnosni wrote: Si wrote: Fantastic piece of work, Chris. Your uncle will be proud of you! Thanks SiWhere have you been, havent heard from you in a while.Your grandad great grandad? was in the Dukes at that time as well wasnt he?     Hi Chris. Been busy climbing the greasy pole at work. Haven't posted much, but have been lurking. Saw you on the telly and thought, "better have a look at SL!"Great grandad Billy Shires was in the Dukes, and great grandad Fred Glendenning was in the West Yorks. Strangely, his name is mis-spelled in the records (and on the rim of his medal) as "Glendinning" but is spelled correctly on other contemporary stuff. Both survived the War.Incidentally, noticed a telly ad for a financial company called Wellesley the other day. Their logo is the Dukes cap badge (crown, lion rampant, pennant of St George.) As you know, Wellesley was the family name of the Duke of Wellington - is the cap badge derived from his coat of arms, hence the logo being the same?     

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Hi Chris, what a fantastic result! Thanks for posting the link to the news story as I've only just got back on the internet after over a week because of PC problems, so I missed it when it was shown on the news as I couldn't follow your threads (I have read back now). Well done for persevering where a lot of people would have given up in frustration, and for sharing your experience on SL - it made fascinating reading!