st. james' 1940

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
cattycarol

Post by cattycarol »

I am researching my family tree and wondered if anyone could tell me about stillbirths in 1940would they be recorded in the chapel in the hospital, and what happened to the babys bodies , were they buried in a cemetery and would there be a record of it, any help would be really appreciated, thank you
c.ely

tilly

Post by tilly »

cattycarol wrote: I am researching my family tree and wondered if anyone could tell me about stillbirths in 1940would they be recorded in the chapel in the hospital, and what happened to the babys bodies , were they buried in a cemetery and would there be a record of it, any help would be really appreciated, thank you Nice to have you on Secret Leeds cattycarol hope you get an answer
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

Any records are likely to be held by Leeds Register Office. There's a page on ordering certificates at http://www.leeds.gov.uk/residents/Pages ... cates.aspx. The Thackray medical museum also has a library; contact details at http://www.thackraymedicalmuseum.co.uk/ ... resources/.

cattycarol

Post by cattycarol »

thanks for your help
c.ely

liits

Post by liits »

Historically, still-births were not registered with the Registrar [they are now]. Had the baby been born alive, even if it subsequently died, then legal requirement to register the birth comes into force. Records of non-live births would be held by the relevant hospital but good luck getting hold of them!Many hospitals took a lot of flack because in earlier times they took responsibility for the disposed of the bodies without regard for the parents wishes / feelings etc. It is not always clear how they "disposed" of the remains.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

liits wrote: Historically, still-births were not registered with the Registrar [they are now]. Had the baby been born alive, even if it subsequently died, then legal requirement to register the birth comes into force. Records of non-live births would be held by the relevant hospital but good luck getting hold of them!Many hospitals took a lot of flack because in earlier times they took responsibility for the disposed of the bodies without regard for the parents wishes / feelings etc. It is not always clear how they "disposed" of the remains. My nan worked at St Mary's (Bramley) and I remember her telling me mam that the saddest part of her job was taking the still borns to the incinerator. This was in the mid 60's so I suppose things have changed now.    
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.