St Margaret's Church Horsforth in the 1700s

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
barlickgirl

Post by barlickgirl »

Hi there,I wonder if anyone of you wonderful Secret Leeds locals can give me some details about St. Margaret's Church Horsforth during the 1700s. I have various members of my Mann family line who were baptized and buried in the church and also seem to have been baptized and buried in St Peter's church in Leeds, as well. My cousin and I are wondering why this might be.I had a look on the current St Margaret's web-site and it states the church was started in 1865, more than 100 years later than our Mann family activity there. It seems from research that St. Margaret was in fact a Catholic Saint and I wonder whether this may have had something to do with their dual baptism's and burial listings.My cousin lives in the USA and I live in Australia, so far away from any local history sites, sadly!Thanks so much for any help at all!Kind regards,Jill
Jill Ross

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Morning As you say the current one is 'recent', albeit a landmarkhttp://goo.gl/maps/btJWHbut there's some experts on here+ perhaps contact Horsforth Museum?    

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Hi Barlickgirl, I have a wonderful view of St Margarets church from my lounge window, as Jogon says below its quite a landmark being located on a high ridge above the river Aire overlooking lower Airedale in the Yorkshire Dales (although not part of the national park of course!). Here is a nice sunset photo I took of St Margarets a few years ago:I can only imagine your family members might have been baptised in different churches because they were the churches local to where they lived, or different family member may have belonged to different congregations or different denominations etc. In Horsforth besides the usual church of England and Catholic church there are a number of non-conformist churches including the Methodist church.I'd imagine that your family members back in the 17th century that moved to the USA were looking for a better life with more religious freedom and your family who moved to Australia were sent there because they were criminals! Heh heh heh!    
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

barlickgirl

Post by barlickgirl »

Jogon wrote: Morning As you say the current one is 'recent', albeit a landmarkhttp://goo.gl/maps/btJWHbut there's some experts on here+ perhaps contact Horsforth Museum?     Thanks for this link, It's a lovely church! I will see what i can find out from the museum.Kind regards,Jill
Jill Ross

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

I guess you werent impressed by my photo or comments about your ancestors getting transported to Australia?
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

barlickgirl

Post by barlickgirl »

jonleeds wrote: Hi Barlickgirl, I have a wonderful view of St Margarets church from my lounge window, as Jogon says below its quite a landmark being located on a high ridge above the river Aire overlooking lower Airedale in the Yorkshire Dales (although not part of the national park of course!). Here is a nice sunset photo I took of St Margarets a few years ago:I can only imagine your family members might have been baptised in different churches because they were the churches local to where they lived, or different family member may have belonged to different congregations or different denominations etc. In Horsforth besides the usual church of England and Catholic church there are a number of non-conformist churches including the Methodist church.I'd imagine that your family members back in the 17th century that moved to the USA were looking for a better life with more religious freedom and your family who moved to Australia were sent there because they were criminals! Heh heh heh!     Hi Jonleeds,That's a really beautiful photo, thank you for posting it! Just to clarify my USA side of the family did move to the USA in search of a better life, but only in the late 1800s. The Australian side only in the late 1900s as "10 pound poms"!!!I realised on re-reading I needed to restate my question so it's much clearer. This is an example of what we keep finding with our Mann family line:From the Parish records:Abraham Mann (Father Abraham Mann) was baptised 19 May 1725 at Horsforth St mary’s. Then there is a duplicate listing that says Abraham Mann (Father Abraham Mann) was baptised 19 May 1725 at Leeds St Peter Yorkshire England.The same goes for his burial:Abraham Mann 19 Aug 1755 Horsforth St Margaret Yorkshire England Abraham Mann 19 Aug 1755 Leeds, St Peter Yorkshire EnglandThis duplication continues for all his siblings as well. Does anyone know why that would be?Regards,Jill
Jill Ross

barlickgirl

Post by barlickgirl »

jonleeds wrote: I guess you werent impressed by my photo or comments about your ancestors getting transported to Australia? Nothing even remotely that interesting to investigate in my family tree unfortunately from the Australian migration aspect. I do have a 3X Gt Grandfather who appears to have spent 9 months in jail for pinching clothes though (this was in Bradford Yorkshire). Trouble with my lot they had such common names they're hard to trace from this far away. All the families called there kids the same names as well, sometimes in the same order!By the way your photo is stunning - thanks for posting it!Cheers,Jill    
Jill Ross

johnnyg

Post by johnnyg »

Flickr carries a number of photos of St Margaret's, including John from above. The most interesting to you may be the photo of the Centenary brochure suggesting the church dates from 1833. The owner of the photo may be able to tell you more.http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=st%20ma ... 0horsforth

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

It is a late church.on the flat caps and bonnets DVD for the middle part of the West Riding is a History of the Parish of Guiseley which included Horsforth.the last chapter on Horsforth mentions the building of various churches as the town expanded.I have also having just read it discovered for the first time the wonderful tale of Anna Page the female bearded(!) poacher gang leader of Horsforth!Incidentally this same DVD has copies of all the parish registers of Leeds Parish church for the 17th and 18th centuries so might be useful if you don't already have copies.see:www.flatcapsandbonnets.com for details. very cheap DVD's and lots of good stuff.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

electricaldave

Post by electricaldave »

I remember St Margaret's when it was all alone, no college nor housing estate near it. Through St George playing field park along little country lanes.The thrupenny bit church at Ireland Wood had not been built so we had to walk from Tinshill over to St Margaret's, that was quite a walk for kids, its quite a walk for adults to be honest.