Danube Terrace, Leeds 1960's - Nearest Schools?

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
AnnieRoss

Post by AnnieRoss »

I lived at Danube Terrace prior to the houses being pulled down. I would like to know what the nearest school's infants/primary school's were nearby and also the nearest colliery that my dad most likely worked at. Father's name James Smith or may have be known as Anthony or Tony. Mum's name Margaret (nee Ross). Other family details if any relatives read this as lost all contact decades ago. Mother's family Ross's lived at Halton Moor - Kendal Drive. Large family. Grandfather Percy. Grandmother Maude, buried at Killiingbeck, Seacroft. Some of my mother's siblings - John, Doris, Christine, Teddy, Kathleen, Jimmy and others . .Dad's family Smith's - think they lived at Hunslet. Had one sister called Margaret. They lived with their auntie and uncle ( possibly on York Road). As their dad died and their mother married a German fella (so I am told?). Uncle's name was Walter - he had 1 leg, not sure how/why. Think auntie was called Ellis/ or something like that. Dad's uncle Jimmy lived at quarry hill flats prior to passing away. Any info - contact would be very much appreciated. Thank you Ann (nee Smith)    

ArmleyLass47

Post by ArmleyLass47 »

Hi AnnieI notice no one has answered you yet.. I think it will be hard to meet anyone who is related to you on here. Saying that have you looked at Leodis - a photographic archive which shows you photos of Danube street.You also then get people who knew about that street or lived there putting their names or numbered houses they lived at. Try that. I haven't been on here long but not really seen anyone find their families yet. Probably the wrong kind of site.Wish you well in your research of the Ross family.
On Ilkla Moor ba'tat!!!

Terry M

Post by Terry M »

Hi,Have just discovered this post so here goes.The nearest Infants school would have been Ingram Road Primary.In the sixties the school comprised of a two storey building, a single storey building, a white prefab, and of course the outside toilet blocks. Also still standing was the air raid shelter.The newer school would have been Matthew Murray School on Brown Lane, sadly now long gone.The playing field which backed onto the Danube's was known as the "leemy" as was used by Ingram Road School for football games.
Terry M