Frank Wedgwood..I need your help cnosni, PLEEEASE!!!

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Si

Post by Si »

cnosni wrote: Hello CaronLiits is on the case so as im away from tomoz (going to Normandy and the western front for a week) ill leave it in his more than capable hands. Ssssshhhhh!!!! The walls have ears!

liits

Post by liits »

Hi Caron,Here’s a bit more for you. The composite picture shows the railway cottages attached to Weeton Station. Following the route of the 1911 census I reckon that your great grandfather was living at what is now No.6 Harrogate Road, Huby but, at the time, was known variously as Station Houses / Railway Houses. He was living in the end house [the one with the white door]. The terrace is made up of four houses – it had originally been three, but had another one added at some point, and all four were occupied by railway platelayers. Closer to the station are another two cottages belonging to the railway company [of a different, more “up-market” design and probably went along with the grade or position of the employee living there] and also the Station Masters House.Click on the red X above the picture for a bigger version.I’m trying to figure out where in Sheriff Hutton your GG Grandmother lived but I’m not having much success at the moment.
Attachments
__TFMF_v1gcyhmwdsjcuqimogvpevaf_d16123b5-c372-4457-84f2-904147bc2a4c_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_v1gcyhmwdsjcuqimogvpevaf_d16123b5-c372-4457-84f2-904147bc2a4c_0_main.jpg (281.27 KiB) Viewed 2623 times

Caron

Post by Caron »

O thank you thank you thank you.When I researched my grt uncles death, (ww1 somme), it said the telegram was sent to Railway cottages. I tried to google but couldn't see much so your pic is fantastic.My grt granddad was a plate layer (says so on my granddads marriage certificate).I've been working on the fam since you gave me the info and I'm having fun but I'm also finding some "probs" which if you don't mind I shall be in touch later with this evening. Big probs for me but I think you'll sort it out in ten minutes! How can I repay you all for your time...words just fail me and it's not often I'm lost for words...Thank you so much for your time.    

Caron

Post by Caron »

O thank you thank you thank you.When I researched my grt uncles death, (ww1 somme), it said the telegram was sent to Railway cottages. I tried to google but couldn't see much so your pic is fantastic.My grt granddad was a plate layer (says so on my granddads marriage certificate).I've been working on the fam since you gave me the info and I'm having fun but I'm also finding some "probs" which if you don't mind I shall be in touch later with this evening. Big probs for me but I think you'll sort it out in ten minutes! How can I repay you all for your time...words just fail me and it's not often I'm lost for words...Thank you so much for your time.WOOOPS! Didin't mean to post twice.    

liits

Post by liits »

Francis Wedgwood [1796 -1874]In the 1851 & 1861 censuses he is recorded as a Cordwainer [shoe maker]. In the 1871 census , that last one in which he appears, he is noted as the Parish Sexton, so would have had some standing in the community.This is far from being an exact science but here goes..... This row of cottages is where I believe Francis, your GGG Grandfather, was living. [Using the 1861 & 1871 censuses, several maps from the Old Maps website] taking as the starting point the school room located at the north east of junction of Finkle Street and Church End, Sheriff Hutton and an end point as the vicarage of St Helen & the Holy Cross church, places his residence in this row of cottages. Sadly, I’m not able to place it exactly - the enumeration district is for the whole of the East side of the village and the houses are not, at that time, numbered, but I’m inclined to think that it is one of the three counting l-r from the one with the green door to the one with the white door and the bay window. As I said, it’s not an exact science and if I’m wrong about this location, his home was certainly on the north side of the street and would have been within spitting distance either side of here.

Caron

Post by Caron »

Hi Liits and again, many thanks for your time. I really do appreciate your kindness.I shall try to be as brief as poss with my probs.I have checked through all the names you've passed on to me through various sites and have managed to find just about everyone so I'm kinda 99.9% things are jogging along nicely.However, I am having trouble locating Mary's ancestors' "beginnings".... I have gone back to Thomas Wedgwood and I think his father was Ralph Wedgwood (?) but I cannot place just where in the Wedgwood family tree they originate from (if you get me?).Is it possible Mary's lot were cousins of Josiah's ?I see Josiah and Sarah but can find no tie-in with Thomas.Trouble for me is that forenames were used over and over again and I end up confused. I'm not the brightest bobbin but I'm not the dullest either. Have to say that I do end up in a state of confusion and bog eyed.So...I'm stuck at the mo.My other prob is Mary Wedgwood's parents, Francis and Hannah. She was born 1796 died 1847 but it says Francis re married in 1800 (on the stuff you sent me). I'm not complaing and it doesn't matter but can't work on those dates.I saw Mary married James Pratt 7/12/1845 in Acomb, Yrks. I cannot find James's death but it doesn't matter.That's about it really....Hope you can understand me??( I confuse myself..lol)ThanksCaron

liits

Post by liits »

Ok, I'll have a look and check my dates for the mariages & deaths etc.As to the Josiah Wedgwood connection, you may need somebody with a bit of expertise - and that’s not me. The one thing I would warn, though, on the UCL surname distribution database [which was done long before all these (edited for content) from Genuki, Ancestry, Rootsweb, Yorkshire Indexers and the like, jumped onboard] Wedgwood is a very common name in the West Midlands. It may just be a coincidence that the families originate in the same area and share the same name.On a different tack [Walter Fox]... from the Harrogate Herald - 9th May 1917"Private W Fox, West Yorks, has been reported missing since September 18th, 1916. Any news will be gratefully received by his parents, Mr and Mrs F Fox, Weeton Station, Huby, Leeds; his brother, Driver J J Fox, West Yorks, has been in France since April, 1915; and another brother, Signaller Harold Fox, was wounded by shrapnel bullet in right knee on Easter Monday, and is now an inmate of Grove House Hospital. The latter was transferred from West Yorks to 25th Northumberland Fusiliers.

Caron

Post by Caron »

Yeah..found out about Walter last year and sadly too late to tell my mum my findings. I finally tracked him down to Mill Rd cemetery, Thiepval. Can tell you it broke my heart. I guess no one spoke of it as none of my family knew he was there (that's another story).With re to my grt grt g'dad, (John Fox), marrying a Wedgwood, it's not so much the Wedgwood fame I'm interested in, it's more the " Well where in the scheme of things does she fit in with the fam of potter's?" Lol. As I said before, I cannot really place just where her side fit in and I don't for one minute think I can work it out. One thing's for sure, no way can I afford someone to do the research.So far though my notes seem to make sense.I had trouble just finding my gt g'dad, Frank Fox, as one minute he was under Otley, then Wharedale, then Leeds... I gave up in the end as I wasn't sure whether it was him (or another Frank Fox).So, if we could work out just where Mary fits it would be great,My auntie was even christened Audrey Wedgwood (Fox). My family are quite exciting really, (just wish they weren't nearly all dead!). It's rotten when no one is left to answer questions re the family.I'll just warn you now though, after I feel I've enough info on my Wedgwoods, there is then my nana's family (she married Harold, Franks son). Not sure anyone can help me there as she was french. Her family were in the french resistance and smuggled english soldiers in the tunnels under their homes in Le Touquet....I even got in touch with the producer of Who Do You Think You Are and offered him myself for free in order to have my fam researched. Told him that plenty of "ordinary" folk had plenty to offer and more exciting stories than some celebs. I'm still waiting for his replyl...lolAnyway, take your time and I'll keep a look out on this thread.Many thanks for everything.Caron.

Caron

Post by Caron »

Just thought I'd add that when I was finding the war graves (I had 2 to find) I came across a site that proved to be fantastic.This guy and his family go off to France and photograph all the graves they can. He will send an image to you FREE of charge (if he has the grave) and is so helpful.I think his website is:BWG Mick Mc CannHis email address is:[email protected] anyone needs a photo..... Mc Canns the man.(I should write jingles!)    

liits

Post by liits »

Caron, I've got your link to Josiah Wedgwood!If you want to drop me an email, I'll explain the [email protected]