Frank Wedgwood..I need your help cnosni, PLEEEASE!!!

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Caron

Post by Caron »

Hi CnosniFor some time now I've been trying really really hard to find out anything re my grt granddad, Frank Wedgwood Fox.I find it all too confusing as I know very little. Also, when married he lived in Huby/Weeton and when I try look up anything it seems areas that were once listed under a district are suddenly listed under another district. I just can't get my head around it.The fact I know very little doesn't help. Sadly, my mam died last year and my sister died 5 months after my mam and I have only 1 auntie living but she doesn't know much either.There is some connection to the Wedgwood clan in our distant family and I woud love to know just how we are/were related.My granddad did seek the help of a solicitor many years ago re some matter relating to it but as far as I can remember important documentation was lost over the years so I don't think much came of it. Well, it can't have done or I'm sure I would have answers to my questions.My auntie did delve into the matter when she lived in London. She said there were only 2 living Wedgwoods, both males and they'd not had children so the Wedgwood line was at it's end. She did try make contact with the 2 Wedgwoods but think she hit a brick wall.I am not interested in any wealth etc re the family connection.I would just like to know how we were once tied into the Wedgwoods and quite simply I would love to know where he was born/name of his parents etc.There's no hurry as I've been "at it" for at least 2 years on/off.I have used free searches where possible and double/triple checked everything I've managed to find out so far but as I said earlier, I've found out very little but not through the lack of trying.Thank youCaron    

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Caron you're in luck.We've a dish with his (sur) name on it.

liits

Post by liits »

In the 1861 census his father is a widow with three children.He remarried on the 3rd Januay 1864. Frank Wedgwood Fox is born in 1864 and is the prodct of this second marriageHis father's second wife was a widow, her married name being Pratt but her maiden name was Wedgwood and she came from Sheriff Hutton. I'll keep looking until Cnosni gets back to you.    

liits

Post by liits »

Ok, I think I've got it...Youy GG grandmotherMary Wedgwood, Born about 1822 Sheriff Hutton, Yorks. Oldest daughter of Francis Wedgwood [b.6th December 1796 Sheriff Hutton, d.1874 Sheriff Hutton] and Hannah Walker [b.1796 Malton, d.1847 Sheriff Hutton]. Hannah Walker was Francis’ first wife, with whom he had ten children. He remarried in 1800 and had one more child with his second wife.Your GGG grandfatherFrancis was the youngest of eleven children born to Robert Wedgwood [b. September 1754 Sheriff Hutton, d.1834 Sheriff Hutton] and May Suggitt [b. Unknown, d, 1804 Sheriff Hutton]. Francis, too, remarried, to Elizabeth Bell in 1804. No recorded children from the union.Your 4xG grandfatherRobert was younger child of Robert Wedgwood Snr [b.1727 November 1727 Coxwold, Yorks, d.1779 Coxwold] and Frances Head [b.1730 Unknown, d.1804 Sheriff Hutton].5xG grandfatherRobert senior was the middle child of John Wedgwood [b.1657 Coxwold, Yorkshire, d.1707 Coxwold] and Elizabeth Wyles [b.1655 Stamford, Lincs, d.1735 Coxwold].6xG grandfatherJohn was the second [of four] child of Thomas Wedgwood [b.1610 Biddulph Staffs, d. 18th May 1692Biddulph, Staffs.] and Elizabeth Dixon [b.1610 Unknown, d.Unknown]So, there is your Staffordshire connection. None of John's siblings appear in the well publicised Wedgwood family tree so they may have only been cousins, but you’ll need to do a lot of digging to work that one out.All this info is in somebody elses family tree, I've only cribbed it. All the dates seem to tie in and there is a lot of consistency in terms of location [with the exception of the marriage in Stamford]. The only unexplained part is the jump of Thomas from Staffordshire where his father was born to Yorkshire, where he was born.    

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Hello CaronLiits is on the case so as im away from tomoz (going to Normandy and the western front for a week) ill leave it in his more than capable hands.I did do a quick check and Fransks mother,Mary Pratt nee Wedgwood was born 1822 in Sherriff Hutton,daughter of a FRAncis and Hannah,they had another 9 children besides Mary.Sarah WedgewoodEngland, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 christening: 18 Jul 1824 SHERIFF HUTTON,?YORK,?ENGLAND parents: Francis Wedgewood,? Hannah*must have died before 1838 as Francis and Hannah have another daughter Sarah in 1838 James WedgewoodEngland, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 christening: 02 Oct 1826 SHERIFF HUTTON,?YORK,?ENGLAND parents: Francis Wedgewood,? Hannah John WedgewoodEngland, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 christening: 04 Oct 1830 SHERIFF HUTTON,?YORK,?ENGLAND parents: Francis Wedgewood,? Hannah Francis Walker WedgwoodEngland, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 christening: 06 Jan 1833 SHERIFF HUTTON,?YORK,?ENGLAND parents: Francis Wedgwood,? Hannah Jane WedgwoodEngland, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 christening: 23 Aug 1846 SHERIFF HUTTON,?YORK,?ENGLAND parents: Francis Wedgwood,? Hannah Robert WedgwoodEngland, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 christening: 07 Jun 1835 SHERIFF HUTTON,?YORK,?ENGLAND parents: Francis Wedgwood,? Hannah Sarah WedgwoodEngland, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 christening: 01 Mar 1838 SHERIFF HUTTON,?YORK,?ENGLAND parents: Francis Wedgwood,? Hannah Thomas WedgwoodEngland, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 christening: 29 Aug 1843 SHERIFF HUTTON,?YORK,?ENGLAND parents: Francis Wedgwood,? Hannah William WedgwoodEngland, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 christening: 26 Nov 1828 SHERIFF HUTTON,?YORK,?ENGLAND parents: Francis Wedgwood,? Hannah Mary WedgwoodEngland, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 christening: 29 Sep 1822 SHERIFF HUTTON,?YORK,?ENGLAND parents: Francis Wedgwood Hannah WodgwoodEngland, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 christening: 26 Nov 1840 SHERIFF HUTTON,?YORK,?ENGLAND Her parents were married at Sherriff Hutton 10/12/1821,Francis marrying a Hannah Walker.The most likely baptism for Francis is one at Sherriff Hutton 06/12/1796,so of a Robert,though a check of the PR for a death would be recommended before plumbing for this one.It would seem to be the one as the 1841 census shows Francis in Sherriff Hutton,though his age,40,shows his year of birth should be 1841.This isnt a problem actually,as all persons over teh age of 15 had their names rounded down to the nearest 5 in the 1841 census,though you do occasionally get accurate ages in some instances.His father Robert has a number of children baptised at Sherriff Hutton,but after a quick check i cannot find a suitable marriage for him,nor a baptism in Sherriff Hutton.There are some member submitted possible records for a Robert Wedgewood being baptised at Coxwold in 1758,but thats it for Yorkshire.Im sure whilst im away the boys and girls will come up with something.See you all when i get back
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Caron

Post by Caron »

OMG....I'm in shock!!!! What a lot to take in.I've just got in and turned on and here it all is.... I'm really knocked for six!!I'll write out the info and get back to you asap.I found my grt granddads birth to be 1864 so I'm sure what you've found is correct. How you have managed it I'll never know as it has taken me so long. I decided against paying into Ancestry etc simply because I didn't know enough and felt I would end up skint before I began.So sad my mam is no longer with me to share this news.THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU XXXXps...I'll be back!!

book

Post by book »

That's fantastic research. I'm looking for a geneologist to help me with some basic research on mine and my wife's names. Willing to pay for that work. Send me your email and I'll contact you if you are interested ?
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

Caron

Post by Caron »

Jogon wrote: Caron you're in luck.We've a dish with his (sur) name on it. Hi JogonWhat ? A dish with my grt grandfathers name ? Frank Wedgwood Fox ?Sorry to sound thick but I'm still reeling!!!

Caron

Post by Caron »

book wrote: That's fantastic research. I'm looking for a geneologist to help me with some basic research on mine and my wife's names. Willing to pay for that work. Send me your email and I'll contact you if you are interested ? Do you mean me, Book ?Honestly....who needs geneologists when you've these clever folk to help ? I've been trying for the past couple of years to piece things together and within no time our SL Sherlocks are sending me more info than I can handle!!!I'm still in shock but for once it's a pleasant kind of shock I've hardly slept...haha

Caron

Post by Caron »

Caron wrote: Jogon wrote: Caron you're in luck.We've a dish with his (sur) name on it. Hi JogonWhat ? A dish with my grt grandfathers name ? Frank Wedgwood Fox ?Sorry to sound thick but I'm still reeling!!! In the words of Nat King Cole, Jogon...."Answer me" ...(o my love etc etc)