WW2 Evacuation

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Derek

Post by Derek »

Sept. 1 1939. I was told to report to school, (Leeds Modern) with a small case of necessities. A number of Leeds City buses, freshly painted khaki, over the traditional light blue(?), transported the group of excited/ bewildered/ scared boys far into the wilderness----To Ilkley! This was almost my backyard as my family had often visited the area and I had had a short "School Camp" in some wooden Army style huts near Addingham. In Ilkley we were sorted out by a group of flustered ladies,and given a lunch of macaroni cheese from a huge cauldron. I was fortunate to be billeted with a very kindly lady , Mrs. French at a house called "Ardlerag" in Ben Rhydding. I shared with another boy, "Wilby". We shared the Ilkley Grammar school with lessons in the mornings and sport in the afternoon. We helped our woodwork teacher, "Chippy" to build a model boat which was launched on Ilkley Tarn. I was not good at team sports and took up cross country running. Rombalds Moor can be tough terrain! We even ice skated and ski ed on the Tarn that winter. After a year we were told that as the Germans could not find Leeds Modern School because of the Leeds Smog, we would be returning home. Unofficially, it was thought that the Leeds boys were so popular with the girls of Ilkley, that the local parents asked for us to be sent home. So it was back to Lawnswood and to helping count Ration Points coupons in Dad's shop after evening Homework!
Derek T

Tyke

Post by Tyke »

My wifes aunty and uncle were evacuated from Horseforth to Pool? Both were near the Aerodrome and aircraft works at Yeadon.    
Hunslet born and bread

Si

Post by Si »

My father was evacuated from Wortley to Hull. What were they thinking?!

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Si wrote: My father was evacuated from Wortley to Hull. What were they thinking?! My Mum and Dad took in a refugee girl from Glasgow,whose parents they became friendly with on honeymoon in the Isle of Man in 1938.We lived in Armley. A bomb dropped 20yds from our house in the Gloucesters! Frying Pan and Fire come to mind!
ex-Armley lad

Caron

Post by Caron »

[quotenick="Si"]My father was evacuated from Wortley to Hull. What were they thinking?! [/quotNot a good move !!!