1939 Leeds Electoral Register

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
liits

Post by liits »

weenie wrote: Thankyou for the info Micheal, it looks like i have to wait another 10 years for the 1921 census LOL Weenie Make the most of the 1921 census because the 1931 census is a gonna![1942] You will regret to hear that in a fire last Saturday evening which gutted the Office of Works store containing our Census records at Hayes, the whole of the 1931 schedules, enumeration books, plans of division and miscellaneous material stored in cupboards etc were completely destroyed. Mr Farrow and I went down to inspect the remains yesterday and we are both satisfied that it would be useless to attempt any sort of salvage operation; we are leaving the Office of Works to clear and dispose of the debris in any way they think desirable.The fire was not occasioned by enemy action and how it achieved such dimensions in a store in which special hydrants had been fitted and said to have been in charge of a fire guard of 6 paid watchers, is a mystery which will need investigation. It is hardly possible to imagine a more complete state of devastation than the scene presented to us in which it was impossible to see where some of the racks had stood and where the remains were nothing more than shapeless mounds of paper rubbish dragged outside the building by the firemen who tackled the fire and where even the least damaged sheets that were recognizable were charred to the depth of two or three inches on all edges.The store must be regarded as a total loss and in the circumstances I shall be grateful if you will let me have a report – in duplicate as Mr Farrow would like a copy – describing briefly though comprehensively what effect the loss may be expected to have on the future operations of the Department. You will be able to indicate the contents of the cupboards and to say whether they included anything of a more permanent value than the 1931 tabulation sheets e.g. maps etc. It will also be useful to know the amount of Section 4 work in respect of 1931 for which you still receive demands and also the extent to which the 1931 records would still have been of use in connection with the next census notwithstanding the N.R. enumeration.    

weenie

Post by weenie »

Just an update and bombshell really, i orderd the 1923 Leeds directory as i have many people in Leeds. so just thought id check through it, and found my Gt gt Grandmother Emma Morton on there at the same address she was living at.......... but she died and is buried in Hunslet cemetary in 1918 in the family plot?? how can she be on there 5 years later - it is also Lily Peaker mother lol My whole family is mind boggling and too baffling Weenie

liits

Post by liits »

Beware the Trade Directories! Kelly’s is about as accurate as it gets but can be up to three years adrift. Robinson’s can be up to five years out! The Barrett’s Directory of the City of Leeds 1955, was begun in 1948 and not completed until 1954! The “residential” sections of the directories are probably the most inaccurate part of the publications. Apparently they were collated by a combination of “door knocking”, questioning landlords, and cribbing the electoral registers an also a certain amount of copying from other directories [where available]. I guess that because of the way some people flitted about, this would lead to some of the inaccuracies in the directories.

weenie

Post by weenie »

I gathered something isnt right as i thought i would check for everyone else of my family, and not one of them there, i know that George Edward Jowett was living at 5 Glossop Street, in 1922 as that is when his daughter died, and in 1924 he was living at Claro Terrace as thant is when my gt grandmother on my mums side got married. and same with my mums paternal side there not there either??? the only one i have found is Emma Morton who had died? Thankyou Weenie

Tug

Re: 1939 Leeds Electoral Register

Post by Tug »

I have just joined this group and seen your post today.
I realise it's 6 years since you last posted Weenie, but I have checked the 1939 Register and can confirm that Lily was living at that address with Willie Morton (grocers assistant) in 1939.