1939 Leeds Electoral Register

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Leodian wrote: The Leeds Street Atlas I have, issued in 1997 or 1998, has a Neville Row as a very short cul-de-sac off Neville Avenue off Osmondthorpe Lane in Leeds 9. I don't know though if that will be the street in question. Clearly seen on Google Earth, of Neville Avenue.
Attachments
__TFMF_lavsbn452mhdvc3qlz50vly4_716ff71d-254a-4fdc-b0ea-e62f8c88a0ce_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_lavsbn452mhdvc3qlz50vly4_716ff71d-254a-4fdc-b0ea-e62f8c88a0ce_0_main.jpg (220.36 KiB) Viewed 8173 times
__TFMF_lavsbn452mhdvc3qlz50vly4_716ff71d-254a-4fdc-b0ea-e62f8c88a0ce_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_lavsbn452mhdvc3qlz50vly4_716ff71d-254a-4fdc-b0ea-e62f8c88a0ce_0_main.jpg (220.36 KiB) Viewed 8173 times

liits

Post by liits »

weenie wrote: try again Clutching at straws but worth a try..... if James Arthur Peaker of 6 Peel Street [off Pearson Street, Hunslet], husband of Lily, who died in 1916 is the correct person, check and see if Lily had any siblings with whom she could have gone to live. I’m guessing that her children (Chares E, Minnie and Elsie, especially Elsie) were all of marrying age so if the daughters married and you know their married names and where they lived, it could be worth checking to see if she went to live with one of them – daughters seeming to be more amenable to having mothers living with them than sons.

weenie

Post by weenie »

liits wrote: weenie wrote: try again Clutching at straws but worth a try..... if James Arthur Peaker of 6 Peel Street [off Pearson Street, Hunslet], husband of Lily, who died in 1916 is the correct person, check and see if Lily had any siblings with whom she could have gone to live. I’m guessing that her children (Chares E, Minnie and Elsie, especially Elsie) were all of marrying age so if the daughters married and you know their married names and where they lived, it could be worth checking to see if she went to live with one of them – daughters seeming to be more amenable to having mothers living with them than sons. Ive accounted for everyone just about, James is in the 1911 census, with children Elsie, Beatrice and Nellie, Charles is living with his grandparents-( Lily's parents) in Black Bull Street. only people i can not see on the 1911 census is Lily and Minnie. in 1913 Minnie marries Lawrence Darnbrough at Parish church, and living Lemon Street. James enters Hunslet Green Workhouse, where he dies in 1916, Elsie is sent to Canada as a British Home child, Nellie is only 7 at the time, dont know who looked after her, Beatrice is only 10 in 1913, but Nana (Nellie ) said she was looked after by her sister when her dad died, which was Beatrice, Beatrice married Ernest Morton in 1922 Sculcoats, and Nellie married Samuel Cross in 1928. Ive also accounted for Lily's siblings and James Siblings too but Lily isnt with them?. that is why i tried the West Yorkshire Asylum, but they said that Lily was never a paitent at any Yorkshire Asylum. and said the 1939 electrol register will give an indication of her whearabouts. what i can not get my head round is why nana and the siblings were told she had died when they were young, when infact she dies 1941, and someone must have known she was married to James for it to be on the death cert as Widow??? many thanks to all on this Weenie

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

uncle mick wrote: When I have been to Leeds Central Library looking for Electoral Registers between 1939-1945 I don't think there where any (for obvious reasons). Could be wrong PS Seen ones from 1938 Yeah 39-45 werent done,same in WW1 as they didnt want the enemy to know how many men we actually had.    
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

I have had a look at the 1923 Leeds Directory (I have it on CD) there are only 3 Peakers in it.Misses Annie and Edith at 6 Linden Road.Dewsbury RoadFred. Clerk at 45 Wickham Street.Beeston HillWilliam.Schoolmaster at 1 Park View.Beeston Hillf

weenie

Post by weenie »

Well i rang the library, and they did do the one in 1939, but the lady on the phone said she couldnt find a Neville Row nr the other Nevilles, and if i new what area code there was under then it would give me a better chance, but there is 8 volumes of big binded books to look at, thankyou Uncle mick, for checking the 1923 Leeds Directory, it has just puzzled me??? would you be so kind and having a look for Minnie Darnbrough please sometimes spelt as Darnborough, its just her husband went AWOL in the War and wondered where she would have been? is there also anywhere i could purchase the cd myself Uncle Mick? Thankyou for all your help, very much appriciatedWeenie

liits

Post by liits »

The 1914 Kelly's Directory has a few Darn Borough's [Although 1914 may be a bit early for your needs]Darnborough, John William 17 Cemetery Road, Beeston Hill [No employment listed].Darnbrough, George Henry, 22 Spring Grove Walk [Printer]Darnbrough, John W, 23 Inglewood Terrace, Woodhouse [No emploment listed].Darnbrogh, Josiah 10 West Street [Tobacconist] Resident at 24 St Peter's Mount, BramleyIn the 1916 Kelly's, the only one listed is George Henry of Spring Grove Walk.The Leeds Abscent Voters Register of 1916 - 18 lists thee Darnbrough'sFred of Brickfield Place off Leeds & Bradford Road, Stanningley.James of Cayton Street off Amley RoadMark of Canonbury Avenue, off Eland RoadDont be pt off by not knowing the area code of the Electoral Register. If you can, it's much easier to actually go down to the library and se the books themselves [They also have a huge selection of Trade Directories which, while nowhere near as as accurate as the Electoral Register are a handy quick reference.

weenie

Post by weenie »

Thankyou Liits, No that is fine that year, Minnie married Lawrance in 1913 at St Peters Parish church, They were Living at Prospect Row, Lemon Street, Leeds Lawrance was a Baker. funny enough the cert says the witness is Lily Reynolds, could it be my Lily under a different name? or possibly a friend of Minnie's its just both Lily and Minnie do not appear on the 1911 census??? Weenie

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

weenie wrote: Well i rang the library, and they did do the one in 1939, but the lady on the phone said she couldnt find a Neville Row nr the other Nevilles, and if i new what area code there was under then it would give me a better chance, but there is 8 volumes of big binded books to look at, thankyou Uncle mick, for checking the 1923 Leeds Directory, it has just puzzled me??? would you be so kind and having a look for Minnie Darnbrough please sometimes spelt as Darnborough, its just her husband went AWOL in the War and wondered where she would have been? is there also anywhere i could purchase the cd myself Uncle Mick? Thankyou for all your help, very much appriciatedWeenie 1923 Leeds DirectoryDarnborough. Joseph Claud. Policeman. 149 Upper Wortley RoadDarnbrough. George Henry. Printer 22 Spring Grove WalkDarnbrough. Mark. Poultry Dealer. Moor Top Farnley.Only the head of the house is shown so I don't know if it is any help.Re the CD I got it free with a family history magazine a while agoMichael

weenie

Post by weenie »

Thankyou for the info Micheal, it looks like i have to wait another 10 years for the 1921 census LOL but many thanks, someone i was talking to tonight suggested S & N Geenology supplies Thanks all Weenie