Catholic church in Holbeck 1797

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
weenie

Post by weenie »

Hi all, Ive been trying to find the correct baptism for my 3x gt grandfather James Moss, accoring to his Chelsea Pensioners records it puts his birth as 1797,but has no next of kin listed, just says going back to Holbeck Leeds. in the census 1851, and 1861 it puts him at 1797, now we are hoping that the death cert that arrives is the correct one, as this puts his birth as 1803? death index 1866 now on the 1871 census his wife Mary is listed as Widow, i have also tried all the other possiblities for his death index, but nothing matches, hench trying the 1866 one, according to the registry of leeds who actually rang me today to say they are getting posted today, as there was a problem with another cert i had asked for. but never mentioned the 1866 death. i have his marriage cert from rootsireland that doesnt list parents details, just that his religion is Roman Catholic, now i have found a baptism on IGI files of a James Moss 1797 at 16 APR 1797 Queen Street Or White Or Whitehall Independent, Leeds, Yorkshire, England to parents Henry Moss and Hannah Richardson, but im not sure these are the correct one for my James Moss. i rang the family history centre at Hawksworth, who has said that there is only one James Moss within there records, but advised me that if he was catholic, he may be with the church records, but would need to establish the catholic church of that time. so ive tried looking for catholic churches of Holbeck around this time, but have drawn a blank, im hoping one of you fellow people may know of any, or can help me further much appriciated Weenie

grumpytramp

Post by grumpytramp »

I am not sure that you will find a Roman Catholic church in Holbeck at that time, bearing in mind that this would have only been 19 years after the 1778 'Catholic Relief Act' allowed Catholics to own property, inherit land and join the army; subject to an oath renouncing the Stuart claims to the throne and the civil jurisdiction of the Pope. It would be a further 32 years before the landmark 'Catholic Relief Act' of 1829 which removed most of the remaining substantial restrictions on Roman Catholics (except the minimum property requirement for voters was raised from a rental value of £2 to £10 per annum ........... the influence one suspects of the 1800 Act of Union with Ireland)I have had a scan through the usual suspects; there are no references at all in the 'Leeds Directory of 1798' to catholic churchs or priests. However in the 'Directory, General and Commercial, of the Town & Borough of Leeds, for 1817' published by Edward Baines there is one Catholic place of worship recorded. Quote: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHAPEL; Lady Lane; Rev. Charles Le Febvre, A.M.; Rev H.L. Oxley; Organinst, Mr John Smith On a hunch I have had a look at St Ann's Cathedral website and this sets out neatly the history of the Catholic Church's revival in the city Quote: The story of St Anne’s Cathedral begins in 1786 when a Dominican priest, Fr. Albert Underhill, moved the long established Roundhay Mission to premises in the centre of Leeds. In the autumn of that year some rooms were obtained in a building off Briggate to house the mission, and so the town’s first Catholic place of worship since the Reformation came into existence. This chapel, an upper room adjacent to the Pack Horse Hotel, served the small Catholic community in Leeds for eight years, until a purpose-built chapel, St Mary’s, opened in Lady Lane in October 1794. In 1833 the Dominicans handed over the responsibility for the Leeds Mission to the Vicar Apostolic of the Northern District, Bishop Thomas Penswick, who appointed Fr. Henry Walmsley to St Mary’s. At this time the Catholic population of Leeds was growing rapidly as a result of the town’s economic development and the influx of settlers from Ireland. See http://www.dioceseofleeds.org.uk/cathed ... story.phpI reckon your best bet is contact the Diocese of Leeds archives which can be found here:http://www.dioceseofleeds.org.uk/archiv ... ss.phpKeep us posted

weenie

Post by weenie »

Many thanks for the information and help, Wow i have just learnt alot from your post. better than i ever did at school over 20 years ago!. I have emailed the Diocese of Leeds and await there replyi will keep you posted,Many thanks once again Weenie

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

weenie wrote: Many thanks for the information and help, Wow i have just learnt alot from your post. better than i ever did at school over 20 years ago!. I have emailed the Diocese of Leeds and await there replyi will keep you posted,Many thanks once again Weenie You will probably have to go and look at the records yourself at Hinsley Hall,Headingley.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

weenie

Post by weenie »

Just got a reply back from Hinsley Hall, saying they do not cover the year 1797, but would have to goto Quote:You would need to access the registers from St Mary’s Chapel, Lady Lane, Leeds or St Patrick’s Chapel, Leeds as both have records of baptisms covering 1797.It would be worth checking with the Leeds Local and Family History Library at the Central Library whether they have these records on microfilm.so will be the next to contact tomorrow. thanks again and i will keep you posted weenie

grumpytramp

Post by grumpytramp »

Next step if that fails is the National Archive at Kew which appear to hold the relevant records on microfilm!See by way of examplehttp://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/d ... ID=3190487