john william hairyes

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
zoenel

Post by zoenel »

hi everyone, im brand new to this so i apoligise for any mistakes, im searching for information about my great great grandfather john william hairyes, who was born in 1895 in holbeck,leeds.and died 1948. i have traced his service record throuugh ancestry,but after that i have very little information, i know he worked for the leeds corperation water works. can anyone tell me how long he worked there or if they produced photographs of there staff.? also i know he lived at 38 oswald terrace ,new wortley.and that he drank in the lord nelson pub,holeck.thanks for your help
zoe hairyes

Si

Post by Si »

Here is 38 Oswald Terrace, on the left. Photo undated, but probably taken in the 1960s. Courtesy of Leodis.
Attachments
__TFMF_f1mclafltxkznz45il0uxjmq_b24ddab4-0ba2-4900-a623-ed4dee1d0925_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_f1mclafltxkznz45il0uxjmq_b24ddab4-0ba2-4900-a623-ed4dee1d0925_0_main.jpg (48.86 KiB) Viewed 2722 times

Si

Post by Si »

1906 Godfrey OS map of Oswald Terrace.Click on the images to enlarge.    
Attachments
__TFMF_f1mclafltxkznz45il0uxjmq_3fbfea31-e9bf-4080-89d4-178858683361_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_f1mclafltxkznz45il0uxjmq_3fbfea31-e9bf-4080-89d4-178858683361_0_main.jpg (284.94 KiB) Viewed 2722 times

farbank

Post by farbank »

Uncommon enough name. I worked throughout the 60's/70's & most of the 80's with a Wilf Hairyes. Any relation perhaps. He was on White Watch, Leeds City Fire Brigade.??

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

zoenel wrote: hi everyone, im brand new to this so i apoligise for any mistakes, im searching for information about my great great grandfather john william hairyes, who was born in 1895 in holbeck,leeds.and died 1948. i have traced his service record throuugh ancestry,but after that i have very little information, i know he worked for the leeds corperation water works. can anyone tell me how long he worked there or if they produced photographs of there staff.? also i know he lived at 38 oswald terrace ,new wortley.and that he drank in the lord nelson pub,holeck.thanks for your help Hi zoenelWhat sort of info are you after,are you trying to find his ancestors for example?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

zoenel

Post by zoenel »

cnosni wrote: zoenel wrote: hi everyone, im brand new to this so i apoligise for any mistakes, im searching for information about my great great grandfather john william hairyes, who was born in 1895 in holbeck,leeds.and died 1948. i have traced his service record throuugh ancestry,but after that i have very little information, i know he worked for the leeds corperation water works. can anyone tell me how long he worked there or if they produced photographs of there staff.? also i know he lived at 38 oswald terrace ,new wortley.and that he drank in the lord nelson pub,holeck.thanks for your help Hi zoenelWhat sort of info are you after,are you trying to find his ancestors for example? i apoligise for the delay in replying, ,thanks for all the information, im searching for any information about my great grandfather for a family history project.i have discovered through ancestry his relatives. i would like to know his work record at the the leeds coprperation water works.and more specifically if there is a photograph of him as we dont have one in the family. and i would like to know if anyone on here personally knew or new of my great grandfather, his first house was 10 peresverance terrace holbeck. and he drank in the pubs iin holbeck,i mentioned.
zoe hairyes

zoenel

Post by zoenel »

farbank wrote: Uncommon enough name. I worked throughout the 60's/70's & most of the 80's with a Wilf Hairyes. Any relation perhaps. He was on White Watch, Leeds City Fire Brigade.?? hi fairbank,that is my great uncle wilf,he is my john hairyes son, he is still going strong living,in garforth ,leeds,i speak to him regullay, what his your name,i will pass it on? thanks
zoe hairyes

farbank

Post by farbank »

If I knew how to put photo's on here, I would send you a picture of your gt.Uncles legs.!! Taken on the team photo, when we won the Reklaw Cup, for the Brigade. He'll know ' Sharpy' well enough.Why not buy uncle Wilf the new book for Christmas.? The Leeds City Fire Brigade. One hundred and fifty years of Service. Costs £12 and a donation goes direct to the Fire Service Charity.Wilf's on page 156, ( No.4 middle row.)

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

zoenel wrote: cnosni wrote: zoenel wrote: hi everyone, im brand new to this so i apoligise for any mistakes, im searching for information about my great great grandfather john william hairyes, who was born in 1895 in holbeck,leeds.and died 1948. i have traced his service record throuugh ancestry,but after that i have very little information, i know he worked for the leeds corperation water works. can anyone tell me how long he worked there or if they produced photographs of there staff.? also i know he lived at 38 oswald terrace ,new wortley.and that he drank in the lord nelson pub,holeck.thanks for your help Hi zoenelWhat sort of info are you after,are you trying to find his ancestors for example? i apoligise for the delay in replying, ,thanks for all the information, im searching for any information about my great grandfather for a family history project.i have discovered through ancestry his relatives. i would like to know his work record at the the leeds coprperation water works.and more specifically if there is a photograph of him as we dont have one in the family. and i would like to know if anyone on here personally knew or new of my great grandfather, his first house was 10 peresverance terrace holbeck. and he drank in the pubs iin holbeck,i mentioned. 8th March 1965 View of the even numbered side of Perseverance Terrace. Numbers follow from left to right, 12 to 4. Sydenham Grove cuts across the foreground and a glimpse of Island Terrace can be seen right.
Attachments
__TFMF_4ygtxv550xipsq45xyijnsfy_65def333-ce97-4aa9-a57c-6eaed815b412_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_4ygtxv550xipsq45xyijnsfy_65def333-ce97-4aa9-a57c-6eaed815b412_0_main.jpg (37.2 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.