Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regiment)

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Si

Post by Si »

I know it's a long shot, but can anyone tell me anything more about this picture?I recently found it amongst my dad's late aunt's belongings. She never married, and we believe she lost her sweetheart during the Great War. The photo is in the form of a postcard (reverse blank, unfortunately) so we think he may be on it. The cap badge appears to be the Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regiment) which I think incorporated the Leeds Rifles.My feeling is that the gents pictured are possibly training personel at an army depot somewhere - note sticks carried by the two on the right, and the plimsolls worn by the reclining chap (presumably a fitness instructor, although he appears to have a cig on the go!) Only one soldier has stripes - the lance-corporal in the centre. I don't know of anyone in the family who was in this regiment.Thanks in advance - any info will be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
__TFMF_ktkwb555tvsxcwqaprppmb55_445a4389-0324-4c2f-a055-ba0d24b5d6c3_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ktkwb555tvsxcwqaprppmb55_445a4389-0324-4c2f-a055-ba0d24b5d6c3_0_main.jpg (295.63 KiB) Viewed 2873 times

tilly

Post by tilly »

Si wrote: I know it's a long shot, but can anyone tell me anything more about this picture?I recently found it amongst my dad's late aunt's belongings. She never married, and we believe she lost her sweetheart during the Great War. The photo is in the form of a postcard (reverse blank, unfortunately) so we think he may be on it. The cap badge appears to be the Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regiment) which I think incorporated the Leeds Rifles.My feeling is that the gents pictured are possibly training personel at an army depot somewhere - note sticks carried by the two on the right, and the plimsolls worn by the reclining chap (presumably a fitness instructor, although he appears to have a cig on the go!) Only one soldier has stripes - the lance-corporal in the centre. I don't know of anyone in the family who was in this regiment.Thanks in advance - any info will be greatly appreciated. One thing i will say Si is its at the begining of the war looking at the age group.After the first year or so they would have been a lot younger than that.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Si

Post by Si »

That's another reason I thought they might be training personel, Tilly.However, the fact that they're older doesn't tally with one of them being my great aunt's sweetheart, as she was still only eighteen at the end of the war. A bit of a mystery.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Si wrote: That's another reason I thought they might be training personel, Tilly.However, the fact that they're older doesn't tally with one of them being my great aunt's sweetheart, as she was still only eighteen at the end of the war. A bit of a mystery. So she might have been a school girl at the start of the war.You are right Si it is a mystery good luck with your quest.        
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

Si wrote: I know it's a long shot, but can anyone tell me anything more about this picture?I recently found it amongst my dad's late aunt's belongings. She never married, and we believe she lost her sweetheart during the Great War. The photo is in the form of a postcard (reverse blank, unfortunately) so we think he may be on it. The cap badge appears to be the Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regiment) which I think incorporated the Leeds Rifles.My feeling is that the gents pictured are possibly training personel at an army depot somewhere - note sticks carried by the two on the right, and the plimsolls worn by the reclining chap (presumably a fitness instructor, although he appears to have a cig on the go!) Only one soldier has stripes - the lance-corporal in the centre. I don't know of anyone in the family who was in this regiment.Thanks in advance - any info will be greatly appreciated. Very interesting, my Grandfather was a private in this regiment, the Regiments Museum hold much information. I found them useful when researching his service with them.Contact details as follows :-Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of YorkshireRegimental Headquarters and Museum,3A Tower StreetYorkYO1 1SBEnglandphone: 01904 662790Good luck

Si

Post by Si »

Thanks very much, Geoff. I'll try ringing them, but I'm not sure how I'll word my questions!

Si

Post by Si »

I've now e-mailed them the picture. I'll wait and see what happens.Thanks all.

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

Si wrote: I've now e-mailed them the picture. I'll wait and see what happens.Thanks all. let us know the outcome, good luck

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

geoffb wrote: Si wrote: I've now e-mailed them the picture. I'll wait and see what happens.Thanks all. let us know the outcome, good luck Yes Si please do.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

Some military records are free to view on Ancestry uk during rememberance week 7-14th Nov.