Conkers

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
jim

Post by jim »

Lilysmum, my mother always told us not to harm spiders, as they were the most effective means of "disposing" of all the other insect life etc that was to be found inside houses!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

jim wrote: Lilysmum, my mother always told us not to harm spiders, as they were the most effective means of "disposing" of all the other insect life etc that was to be found inside houses! As an arachnophobe I have a fear they may dispose of me! OK I know that is silly, but I don't like spiders. There have been more (and larger) ones in my house this year than the last couple of years (or at least those I know of, or knew of and then caught and threw out). I've heard that conkers can keep spiders away but I've never tried it. I shall have to look at conker trees to see if they have no or few spiders compared to other tree types! PS. I'm probably wrong but conkers seem to be developing late this year. PPS. I wonder if kids still make figures using acorns? That was fun.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

We used to grow acorns on top of the neck of old medicine bottlesfilled with water and the tops of carrots in a saucer of water.On a more 'refined'note later we used to suspend avacado stones on cocktail sticks over a bottle of water.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

dogduke wrote: We used to grow acorns on top of the neck of old medicine bottlesfilled with water and the tops of carrots in a saucer of water.On a more 'refined'note later we used to suspend avacado stones on cocktail sticks over a bottle of water. We also used to grow mustard and cress on damp blotting paper.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The talk of growing things triggered a vague memory I have as a child in the late 1940s to early 1950s of having bought for me small containers (a bit like yogurt cartons) to which you added water to grow pre-planted seeds. I think you could grow very small plants and also such things as cress. Innocent fun days.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Leodian wrote: The talk of growing things triggered a vague memory I have as a child in the late 1940s to early 1950s of having bought for me small containers (a bit like yogurt cartons) to which you added water to grow pre-planted seeds. I think you could grow very small plants and also such things as cress. Innocent fun days. 'an carrot tops in a saucer of water

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

jim wrote: Lilysmum, my mother always told us not to harm spiders, as they were the most effective means of "disposing" of all the other insect life etc that was to be found inside houses! That's right Jim, My wife's dad (an old countryman!) alwayssaid ;"If you wish to live and thrive,Let a spider run Alive!"Personally, I always had trouble hitting the blighterswith conkers in a catapult!

jim

Post by jim »

You give me inspiration, 'Arry. I'm off to practice dropping conkers onto moving targets from a great 'eight!    

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

jim wrote: You give me inspiration, 'Arry. I'm off to practice dropping conkers onto moving targets from a great 'eight!     That will conkerete over them.

jim

Post by jim »

M.S. ........... Mutley Snicker ( I'm afraid I don't LOL )