Baby boys

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Bramleygal

Post by Bramleygal »

Baby boys dressed in little girl dresses!!!

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

It was a regular thing in the 1800s, I have numerous pictures of them from old photographic books, in particular at the seaside which seem the main area where pictures were taken.Clothes were mainly of one type and passed down in families from child to child.Today its called recycling! http://histclo.tripod.com/chron.html    
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

There is actually a folklore reason originally for why this happened.At one time it was believed fairies preferred to steal baby boys to take to fairyland,however by making them look like girls it foiled the fairies!you find this mentioned in the folklore of many counties not just Yorkshire.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Steve Jones wrote: There is actually a folklore reason originally for why this happened.At one time it was believed fairies preferred to steal baby boys to take to fairyland,however by making them look like girls it foiled the fairies!you find this mentioned in the folklore of many counties not just Yorkshire. I've never heard of that but as some educated (thus by definition 'intelligent') people believed in such as the Cottingley Fairies then I can well believe that folklore was thought possible.There once was a fairy. Her name was Nuff.Fair enough.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

keyholekate

Post by keyholekate »

Leodian wrote: Steve Jones wrote: There is actually a folklore reason originally for why this happened.At one time it was believed fairies preferred to steal baby boys to take to fairyland,however by making them look like girls it foiled the fairies!you find this mentioned in the folklore of many counties not just Yorkshire. I've never heard of that but as some educated (thus by definition 'intelligent') people believed in such as the Cottingley Fairies then I can well believe that folklore was thought possible.There once was a fairy. Her name was Nuff.Fair enough. I didnt know that. . .what a nice folklore.Maybe some secretleeder can help with my question about a baby boy? I was reading in a book about a fire in Halton.The parents had left three children alone in the house while they went by car to Staincross near Barnsley to show a nurse that their baby boy Keith "had been shortened"What does this mean? I cant seem to find out.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Steve Jones wrote: There is actually a folklore reason originally for why this happened.At one time it was believed fairies preferred to steal baby boys to take to fairyland,however by making them look like girls it foiled the fairies!you find this mentioned in the folklore of many counties not just Yorkshire. Sorry to bring this crashing down around your ears Steve but the reason why boys wore skirts/dresses as babys,which by the way was restricted to the upper classes until the early part of the 20th century,was basically for resaons of practicality when it came to the subject of a baby doing number 1's and number 2's in an era where there were no nappies.Its far more practical to address the problem of a baby filling its pants in an era before zips and press studs on babys clothing.Common all garden peoples children had a few rags wrapped around their lower end to catch what came out,you couldnt let that happen to a baby of a well to do family could you?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

Steve Jones wrote: There is actually a folklore reason originally for why this happened.At one time it was believed fairies preferred to steal baby boys to take to fairyland,however by making them look like girls it foiled the fairies!you find this mentioned in the folklore of many counties not just Yorkshire. Is that why there are so many 'Fairies' about,these days?

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Sorry to rain on your parade csosni but i am correct.it involves changeling legends see the following for example from The Journal of mythic Arts:http://www.endicott-studio.com/jMA0301/ ... 2.htmlYour idea is also probably correct in the reason why the practice continued in some families.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Steve Jones wrote: Sorry to rain on your parade csosni but i am correct.it involves changeling legends see the following for example from The Journal of mythic Arts:http://www.endicott-studio.com/jMA0301/ ... 2.htmlYour idea is also probably correct in the reason why the practice continued in some families. Steve,this is not exactly a scientifically based piece of evidence.But obviously i will agree with you if im ever in the dock and you are on the bench
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

keyholekate wrote: Leodian wrote: Steve Jones wrote: There is actually a folklore reason originally for why this happened.At one time it was believed fairies preferred to steal baby boys to take to fairyland,however by making them look like girls it foiled the fairies!you find this mentioned in the folklore of many counties not just Yorkshire. I've never heard of that but as some educated (thus by definition 'intelligent') people believed in such as the Cottingley Fairies then I can well believe that folklore was thought possible.There once was a fairy. Her name was Nuff.Fair enough. I didnt know that. . .what a nice folklore.Maybe some secretleeder can help with my question about a baby boy? I was reading in a book about a fire in Halton.The parents had left three children alone in the house while they went by car to Staincross near Barnsley to show a nurse that their baby boy Keith "had been shortened"What does this mean? I cant seem to find out. Hi Keyoilkate! Just had a word with my missus re-'Shortening'.wife sez that babies from birth to about 6 months oldwore Nightgown type dresses (Both sexes). After six monthsor so they went into shorter clothes. Lasses in dresses andlads in romper type pants. This was in the 20's30's and untilthe early 40's I think and the kiddies got new 'shortening'clothes to show they were growing up!(And I thought they just chopped the poor kids off at the Knees